Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Review: Stranger on the Shore by Josh Lanyon


Stranger on the Shore by Josh Lanyon

Review by Lauren

Source: Netgalley, all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Twenty years ago young Brian Arlington, heir to Arlington fortune, was kidnapped. Though the ransom was paid, the boy was never seen again and is presumed dead. Pierce Mather, the family lawyer, now administers and controls the Arlington billions. He's none too happy, and more than a little suspicious, when investigative journalist Griffin Hadley shows up to write about the decades-old mystery. Griff shrugs off the coldly handsome Pierce's objections, but it might not be so easy to shrug off the objections of someone willing to do anything to keep the past buried.

Review: I saw this on Netgalley and thought it looked like a very interesting mystery. I'm extremely thankful that Carina Press allowed me to read and review this novel. Josh Lanyon writes a lot of M/M romance/mystery series, but this is a stand-alone which makes it even easier to check out if you're interested...and I hope some of you are, as I really enjoyed this one.

Griff is a simple guy from a small town who grew up hearing that rich people weren't good and all they cared about was what they owned. That doesn't stop him from staying in the guest house of the Arlington family in order to do research on a book about the kidnapping of Brian though, who would have grown up to inherit the entire fortune some day. Not that the kidnapper could have known that Brian's parents would tragically pass before their time.

Griff's favorite book is The Great Gatsby, and the story within those pages about the life of luxury seems to enhance Griff's already curious mind about the Arlington family. Of course, not everyone in the family is happy he's there to drudge up past pains. Brian's grandfather is the one in charge, though, and he wants Griff there, to hopefully stir up the investigation again.When trying to research the family, Griff is met with resistance from Pierce Mather, the family lawyer, who has had to deal with many people trying to manipulate the Arlington's. He's prickly, but he cares about the family and wants to make sure they aren't hurt through Griff's book.

As I said, Lanyon writes a lot of M/M romantic mystery, so Griff is gay and he does form a relationship in the book. It works well within the mystery though and I thought it was tastefully done. The sexual scenes are a bit graphic in terms of details but they only occur a few times and it never felt over done or excessive. I think fans of romance novels would appreciate Stranger on the Shore, especially if you like the "who done it" aspect as well. Throughout the book Griff is being targeted in various ways, showing that someone wants him to leave and not reveal any hidden secrets. He's determined to learn something of the truth though, and he keeps looking, suspicious of those around him (even the Arlington family).

The mystery in this book was really well done, I thought. There were a couple big reveals at the end of the book. I knew one of them before hand, but it was still interesting to see the fall out. This was a quick read and one that I didn't want to end. I had to know how it would all conclude. While this is a stand-alone novel, I'm so curious about Griff in the aftermath.

14 comments:

Kindlemom said...

Glad you enjoyed this one.

Erika Sorocco said...

I love suspense novels - this one sounds perfect.

xx

Andrea Thompson said...

Oh wow. I tend to like Carina Press books, and think I might like this. I haven't read a mystery in a long time. Thanks for the review!

Liviania said...

Sounds good. And I definitely like a ogod romance storyline!

Melliane said...

I never tried a m/m book but I should to see if I like them or not. And I'm curious about the mystery!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

You weren't too frustrated with the ending?

Brandi Kosiner said...

The mystery does sound good even though the Great Gatsby feel didn't really work for me in TGG.

Giselle said...

This sounds fun! I love all kinds of mysteries and i don't think I've ever read a M/M so I'd be interested in trying one out. Great review!

Zoe N. said...

I'm not sure this would be for me as I only read YA, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! The mystery aspect sounds absolutely wonderful and really full of twists and turns. Thanks for sharing Lauren, and, as always, BRILLIANT review! <3

~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Heidi- No, I wasn't frustrated by the end. It's really a case of wanting more from the characters because I liked them!

Medeia Sharif said...

I've seen this elsewhere and it does look interesting. Great review.

Cleo Bannister said...

What an interesting take on a mystery novel... I'm interested and also quite intrigued. Great review!

http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

The Bookish Manicurist said...

I love mystery stories and it's great the romance fitted in well with the story, too!

Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

Lauren D. said...

I love a good mystery and if you can throw in some romance, I'm an even happier camper. Glad you enjoyed this! Lovely review :-)