Friday, December 12, 2014

Film Review: Ask Me Anything


Ask Me Anything 

Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/AskMeAnythingFilm

Film review by Lauren

Official Synopsis: Beautiful, wild, funny, and lost, Katie Kampenfelt takes a year off before college to find herself, all the while chronicling her adventures in an anonymous blog into which she pours her innermost secrets. Eventually, Katie's fearless narrative begins to crack, and dark pieces of her past emerge.

Review: Author Allison Burnett's novel, Undiscovered Gyrl, is hitting the big screen as Ask Me Anything, starring Britt Robertson, Justin Long, Martin Sheen, Christian Slater, and more. What's even more exciting about this is that Burnett wrote the screenplay and directed the movie based on his own novel.

I read and really enjoyed Undiscovered Gyrl, so I was excited to get the chance to view Ask Me Anything before it's December 19 release date (select theaters and many digital platforms). Katie is taking a year off between high school and college but she doesn't really know what she wants to do. She finds a brief job at a bookstore, and then ends up being a nanny for a little boy. At the same time, she is really coming into her sexuality. At the start of the film, she is having a sexual relationship with a film professor, even they both are in a relationship. She's wandering, a bit lost, and she catalogs this year in a blog.

It's easy to look at Katie's actions and condemn them, but the story is more than that. Katie is obviously searching for herself, and at the same time, she surrounds herself with an interesting cast of characters. These people make up a large part of the story, though it's all through Katie's point of view. Ask Me Anything is one of those movies where the less you say, the better. The book was the same way. There are moments throughout that you don't want anyone to spoil for you, so I'm trying not to say too much.

I did like the idea of Katie keeping a blog though, as I'm a blogger too. I don't write about my personal life all the time and I definitely don't go into the details that Katie does, but it makes you wonder about people that do. The blogging aspect is something that you just have to see the movie to really understand, but it's essential to the film. 

Overall, this was a very enjoyable film. The acting was well done, and with so many well-known names, nobody overshadowed anybody else. Britt Robertson was exceptional as Katie; she really breathed life into the character and reminded me of Evan Rachel Wood in the film Thirteen. If you enjoyed that movie, I think you would like Ask Me Anything as well. Both deal with realistic, sometimes tough issues, but the characterization and acting really make it worth watching.

Burnett did a great job, and I commend him for making his wonderful novel into an equally fantastic film. I hope you will check it out next Friday!

16 comments:

Melliane said...

it's interesting to have a character who does have a blog. I didn't know about this one I confess but I'm curious now. It sounds a little different from what I've read for now.

Melanie said...

Ooh I don't think I've heard of this one before! I am glad that you ended up enjoying this one, the MC seems to be very relatable seeing as she also kept a blog :D

Tracy Terry said...

Intrigued by this one for the obvious reason but despite your positive review I think it will be available to rent on DVD before I see it.

Kindlemom said...

Glad you enjoyed this. Books to movies can be so hard sometimes.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Sounds like they did a realtively good job converting this one over. I am curious about the whole blogging thing, but I doubt I would like the oversharing.

Cascia Talbert said...

Sounds a little too raunchy for me, but I am glad you liked it. Have a terrific weekend!

Brandi Kosiner said...

The blogger characters are always fun

cleemckenzie said...

I love to read blogs, but I'm not big on the "tell all" ones. I might take a look at this one on Netflix when it's available.

Medeia Sharif said...

I'll look out for it. It seems like an interesting film.

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I've not heard of this film, but now I really want to see it! Of course, it helps that my biggest crush from the 90s, Christian Slater, is in the cast. ;)

Tanja - Tanychy said...

I haven't heard of this movie but it sounds really interesting. Lol I love book/movie characters that keep blogs :D Anyhow I so happy that this was a really interesting movie :) Great review :)

Emily @ Forever Literary said...

I hadn't heard of this movie, but now I want to see it! Adding blogging to a premise is a great way to pull me in - like you, I like characters who share that hobby even though I don't blog about my personal life either. The way you describe Katie's actions intrigues me, and I love the kind of story that's best when you go in blind. I'll definitely have to keep this film on my radar!

kimbacaffeinate said...

Glad to hear this was good, and lucky you on getting a sneak peak.Looks like a great film to watch over the holiday

Alise said...

The main character seems like she would be very easy to relate to. I also like the blogging aspect. I don't think this one will be playing in my theater though, bummer!

Al said...

The reason so many of you have never heard of Ask Me Anything is that it just came out on Friday, the 19th. It's available on almost every digital platform -- iTunes, Direct TV, Amazon Instant -- and so on.... The award-winning soundtrack is made up only of songs written and performed by unknown girls 21 years old and younger. It's also available. Write to me and tell me what you think! At allisonburnett.com

Nicole Hewitt said...

I'm a fan of Britt Robertson, so I definitely want to check this movie out!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction