Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Expiration Date by Duane Swierczynski


Expiration Date by Duane Swierczynski

Review by Lauren

Source: personal copy; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Mickey Wade is a recently-unemployed journalist who lucked into a rent-free apartment—his sick grandfather’s place. The only problem: it’s in a lousy neighborhood—the one where Mickey grew up, in fact. The one he was so desperate to escape.

But now he’s back. Dead broke. And just when he thinks he’s reached rock bottom, Mickey wakes up in the past. Literally.

At first he thinks it’s a dream. All of the stores he remembered from his childhood, the cars, the rumble of the elevated train. But as he digs deeper into the past, searching for answers about the grandfather he hardly knows, Mickey meets the twelve-year-old kid who lives in the apartment below.

The kid who will grow up to someday murder Mickey’s father.

Review: I read this book late last year, so this probably won't be a terribly long review with a lot of details. Regardless, this is a book that I often think back on and would be happy to re-read in the future. It's a fascinating story about a man who finds himself in the past after taking what he believes to be simple pain pills left in his grandfather's apartment. These pills, however, actually bring him into the past and while he tries to change some things for the better, he realizes that it's not that simple.

The mystery of Mickey's father's death and knowing in the summary that the little boy downstairs will eventually kill him definitely has you flipping the pages. I loved how past, present, and future all seem to collide on each other in the novel, adding suspense and surprises throughout. This book also includes black and white drawings randomly throughout the novel which was great. Perfect for people that love illustrated adult novels. It makes the book seem more gritty and noir, in a way.

The end of this book was surprising to me, and while it might not work for everyone, I really liked it. I thought it was interesting and fit the novel. I'm definitely curious about some of this author's other works now too!

13 comments:

Melliane said...

It's the first time I hear about this one but it sounds really good. I love a good mystery and it seems lik this one deliver this. thank you!

Kindlemom said...

I love that you are still thinking about this months later, that is awesome!
I love the premises, it sounds really interesting.

Giselle said...

I love mysteries like this and wow I have a hard time reviewing a book I read a couple of months ago nevermind a year haha. Good that it sicks with you, though!

Liviania said...

Sounds like an exciting take on a time-travel story!

kimbacaffeinate said...

Mysteries are always a favorite for me. So glad to see this stayed with you.

Sophia Lin said...

Totally off topic, but I love your newest blog design, Lauren!

Though back on topic... I've always had a thing for mysteries even though I have a preference for Fantasy and Paranormal. So glad you enjoyed reading this again! :)

Alexia561 said...

Really like the sound of this one, as I'm always up for a good time travel story! Like that he tries to change history, but it's harder than expected. Thanks for the heads up!

Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

Loupe Duffy said...

Interesting! This is why is so great to visit different bloggers all the time...Not in a million years I'd picked out this book, now I'm curious!
Thank you :)

Erika Sorocco said...

Ooh, I totally want to read this one - it sounds amazing!

xx

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

I read one not so long ago that had to do with pills (and why you shouldn't take what you don't know about). Glad you liked the ending (I'd obviously have to read it to know if I'd be on the latter side, but I like fitting endings, whether good or bad). :)

Brandi Kosiner said...

Good to hear it was a surprising ending

cleemckenzie said...

Love those time warp plots. They do keep you wondering and I love to see how the author pulls off the end.

Montana @ The Book Belles said...

I tend to enjoy books that involve time travel, so this one sounds pretty cool. I like the sound of there being illustrations throughout the novel, too :)