Monday, February 2, 2015

Nothing Like Paris by Amy Jo Cousins






Nothing Like Paris by Amy Jo Cousins

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Jack Tarkington’s life is in the toilet. He was supposed to be spending his junior year studying someplace cool like Paris or Rome. Instead, after taking out his anger on the campus “golden boy”, whose dad ripped off his parents, Jack is facing possible expulsion.


Sure, it’s all his own fault, but coming back to the small Iowa town he thought he’d escaped, after crowing about his admission to a prestigious school, has been a humbling experience.

When he runs into Miguel, Jack braces for backlash over the way he lorded it over his old friend and flame. Instead, Miguel offers him friendship—and a job at his growing farm-to-table store and café.
Against the odds, both guys bond over broken dreams and find common ground in music. But when Jack’s college gives him a second chance, he’s torn between achieving a dream that will take him far from home, and a love that strikes a chord he’ll never find anywhere else.


Review: I really enjoyed Nothing Like Paris, which is classified as Bend or Break, Book Number 2. I know what Book 1 entails and the characters are mentioned in this one, so I'm curious to go back and read the first book now. In general, though, it's not important to read the books in order. In terms of Nothing Like Paris, this is a book about an old relationship getting the chance to blossom again...but past hurts have a really good chance of ruining things.

Jack went off to college, trying to live an exciting life far away from his small town and alcoholic mother. He finds himself back, though, when he gets in trouble and might end up being expelled. This brings him face to face with his best friend and ex-boyfriend, Miguel, who stayed home to take care of his family after his dad had a heart attack. These two obviously love each other, but they have commitment issues, seeing as how they were never really out in high school, though everybody still knew. Them knowing and the boys confirming was something completely different, so they kept it quiet. Now, Jack wants Miguel back, but he wants the whole world to know. While Miguel wants Jack, he's afraid to be left behind again.

I liked that these two had an established relationship already, so things never felt forced or rushed in the novel. Despite knowing each other already, Miguel tried to take things slow so his heart wouldn't be broken again. It was an emotional read, in a sense, and not only because of the romance. Both guys had issues within their families and lives that they had to sort out in order to truly move into the future.

Again, this book does contain scenes of a sexual nature, and while they are graphic, they do not permeate the entire story.

18 comments:

Melliane said...

It's nice to see that the second book is also good and that you had a good time with it!

Kindlemom said...

Glad you really liked this, especially without having read the first, it is rare when that happens. ;)
Great review!

Jasprit said...

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one, I always like books when they can be read in any order. Fab review!

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

Sounds like a sweet story, a little sad and angsty too, but still. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I think this is one I am going to skip, sad and dramatic with detailed sex scenes are not up my alley.

cleemckenzie said...

I love the premise of this one. A boy in the middle of disaster. What next in his life? Great to see a male protagonist.

Candace said...

While I don't generally like graphic sex, I can skim and if they don't permeate the whole story I can live with it. I love the sound of the romance!

Rachel said...

I do love second chance romances and this sounds like a moving one. Wonderful review, Lauren! :)

Allie @ Little Birdie Books said...

Wahey for romances that aren't rushed. Having them know each other beforehand is actually a good technique to avoid the whole 'insta love' thing!

Liviania said...

I'm not big on broken up but get back together stories, but this sounds good.

Karen said...

I LOVED the first book and Jack was such a jerk in that one that I'm curious to see how he turns it around.

I think I'm starting this one tonight!

Karen @For What It's Worth

Christy @ Love of Books said...

Aw, a second chance romance. This does sound good. I'll have to go check the first book.

Brandi Kosiner said...

I think there is a lack of characters with established relationships

kimbacaffeinate said...

I like that the relationship was already established, I think I would start with book one though. Great review Lauren

Carmel B said...

Second chance romances are quickly becoming my new fav thing. I'll take 'em over insta-love any day, plus as you mentioned, authors can avoid that nastiness altogether by establishing a past between the couple. WIN/WIN!

Carmel @ Rabid Reads

Diva Booknerd said...

I love when you can pick and choose which books to read within a series, it doesn't happen too often these days sadly, and sometimes you just don't want to invest in an entire series. I've had a love / hate relationship with NA, but always looking for one that doesn't follow the same old tropes to give it another go. Lovely review Lauren, thanks for sharing <3

Aylee said...

Excellent LGBT find - never heard of this series before. It does remind me a bit of other YA series I'm familiar with in terms of subject matter though. And I like those so I can see myself liking this series as well, with the added bonus of adding some diversity into my reading.

Alexia561 said...

Don't think this is my type of read, but glad to see that you enjoyed it!

Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...