Thursday, March 5, 2015

Flunked: Fairy Tale Reform School by Jen Calonita


Flunked: Fairy Tale Reform School by Jen Calonita

Review by Lauren

Source: netgalley/publisher; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Gilly wouldn't call herself wicked, exactly...but when you have five little brothers and sisters and live in a run-down boot, you have to get creative to make ends meet. Gilly's a pretty good thief (if she does say so herself).

Until she gets caught.

Gilly's sentenced to three months at Fairy Tale Reform School where all of the teachers are former (super-scary) villains like the Big Bad Wolf, the Evil Queen, and Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother. Harsh. But when she meets fellow students Jax and Kayla, she learns there's more to this school than its heroic mission. There's a battle brewing and Gilly has to wonder: can a villain really change?

Review: Jen Calonita is a young adult author that my sister has read and loved for awhile now, but I had never checked anything by her out before. Therefore, my first foray into her work is with this new middle grade series about the world of Enchantasia. Gilly is a fierce, young girl who is desperate to keep her family happy and safe.

With five younger siblings, and parents who are barely making by with their shoe business, Gilly decides to play Robin Hood- steal from the rich to sell and give the money to the poor. Gilly has been caught twice before, so in the beginning of Flunked, we learn just how Gilly is caught the third time and sent to Fairytale Reform School.

Everything looks beautiful on the outside, but Gilly soon learns that this school is hiding many secrets, some of which are quite dangerous. With new friends by her side like Jax, Kayla, Maxine, and Ollie, this group of kids set out to save their school and, hopefully, their lives.

Flunked is a quick, fun read that I'm sure a lot of middle school students would really enjoy. While Gilly is a female first-person narrator, but I still feel like some boys would enjoy this one. After all, you have some awesome male characters like Jax, as well as Mr. Wolfington (also know as the Big Bad Wolf). The book is based around fairy tales, but it's not too girly and since it's a middle grade, it focuses much more on friendship and adventure than romance and happily-ever-after.


About the Author:

Jen Calonita is the author of the Secrets of My Hollywood Life series and other books like Sleepaway Girls and Summer State of Mind, but Fairy Tale Reform School is her first middle grade series. She rules Long Island, New York with husband Mike, princes Tyler and Dylan, and Chihuahua Captain Jack Sparrow, but the only castle she’d ever want to live in is Cinderella’s at Disney World. She’d love for you to drop her a line at jencalonitaonline.com or keep the fairy tale going at  http://books.sourcebooks.com/enchantasia/

19 comments:

Melliane said...

Oh yes I saw this one on Netgalley but didn't ask for it when I realized it was for younger persons. But it sounds really sweet.

Medeia Sharif said...

This looks like a cute book and I'm glad it's not too light--I don't really care for cute overload.

Brandi Kosiner said...

Heh, love the title and great to hear its a fun and quick read

Kindlemom said...

This sounds like it was a great read! Gotta love a quick, fun, adorable read!

Heidi Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am on the hunt now for good middle grade now that my six year old is getting into chapter books. I will add this to her list.

Lauren D. said...

This sounds really cute, and I'm glad it focuses on friendship more than romance. I definitely want to give this one a try. Lovely review!

Christy @ Love of Books said...

This sounds cute and fun! Lovely review, hon.

Erika Sorocco said...

This sounds absolutely adorable - I love fairytale type books!

xx

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

I don't read that much MG, when I do it's more mythology, but it does sound rather fun, and glad it focuses more on friendship. :)

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Sounds like a really cute, fun read!

kimbacaffeinate said...

I love these boarding school type settings and this sounds awesome :)

Jon G. said...

I have actually never read any of Calonita's books, but I've met her before and she's so nice! She's a local and I probably should read one of her books soon. Great review!
-Jon from Bookish Antics!

Jennifer Humphries said...

You find the best books! I think this is right down my daughter's alley and I think I would enjoy it too! We both love fairytale fantasy reads and this looks like a winner.

Karen Alderman said...

Oh this one sounds like a lot of fun!

Karen @For What It's Worth

Nicole Hewitt said...

I think I'll have to pick this one up for my daughter - sounds like something she'd love!!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Cascia Talbert said...

That sounds like a great book.

Alexia561 said...

Love the sound of a reform school run by the likes of the Wicked Stepmother and Evil Queen, and have added it to my wishlist!

Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

Claudia Arroyo said...

I enjoyed the narrative too! I'm not sure if I would reread it, but I know that for the audience it is geared for, it is perfect :) Great review Lauren!

Claudia Arroyo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.