Friday, May 1, 2015

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick



Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick

Review by Lauren

Source: Library copy; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: An archaeologist who unearths a mysterious artifact, an airman who finds himself far from home, a painter, a ghost, a vampire, and a Viking: the seven stories in this compelling novel all take place on the remote Scandinavian island of Blessed where a curiously powerful plant that resembles a dragon grows. What binds these stories together? What secrets lurk beneath the surface of this idyllic countryside? And what might be powerful enough to break the cycle of midwinterblood?

Review: I have heard that Sedwick’s newest novel, The Ghosts of Heaven, intertwines multiple stories as well, so if you have read that book, you might not be too surprised by the style of Midwinterblood. This was the first book I have read by this author, and while I did not love it, it’s easy to see he’s a fantastic writer and someone I hope to read more from in the future. In my YA Literature Course this semester, we were assigned this book to read during our fantasy/mind-bending literature section. Midwinterblood is certainly mind-bending, but it also very much keeps you reading.

Eric starts and ends this story, or perhaps I should say he ends and starts this story. The book feels very much like a circle, going back in time and then leaving you at the end of the book and wishing you could read it again, but this time, from the end to the beginning. This book is very difficult to describe, especially because I do not want to give away too much for those of you interested. Basically, this book takes place on an island called Blessed and features a man named Eric and a girl named Merle. These three things are constant, though their names will change slightly with the times. This is a magical place where love transcends time and even death.

I am glad I had the chance to discover Sedgwick. I am curious to now read The Ghosts of Heaven, in hopes that I will enjoy the story even more. Midwinterblood is a curious novel, but it’s worth a try.

23 comments:

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

Still haven't read one by him, so need to, especially with The Ghosts of Heaven (although I don't think I'd start one of his with that because I'll probably be confused, haha) but probably will start with this. :)

cleemckenzie said...

You've tantalized me quite a bit with this review. I thin I'd love a book that I wanted to re-read, but in reverse order.

Kindlemom said...

I tried the Ghosts of Heaven book and didn't like it but I agree, his writing style is amazing, or rather beautiful.
Great honest review!

Brandi Kosiner said...

haven't heard much about Segwich but good to hear it was a nice discovery for you

Heidi Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I have good things about this author's writing, but people seem to have a hard time with his books, so I am not sold yet. Sorry this one wasn't a big winner for you.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Wow! This doesn't sound like I need to just read this book but read this author! I'm going to have to check her out. Thanks!

Zoe N. said...

OMG THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD. I absolutely adored the way Sedgwick wrote The Ghosts of Heaven and how thought-provoking it was, so I'm glad that you found this to be just as good. And the Scandinavian / historical aspect to it since I'm part Norwegian myself. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

Aimee (Deadly Darlings) said...

I don't think I'll be reading this anytime soon. The writing style sounds like it might be a little bit difficult to follow, especially for first time Sedgwick readers like me! So glad you ended up enjoying this, though! :)

Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

Melanie said...

I've been wanting to give Sedgwick another go ever since I read Ghosts of Heaven had had really mixed feelings about it. Sounds really interesting!

Nice review, Lauren <33

Cleo Bannister said...

What a fantastic post that really sells this book. I like the sound of the circle that starts at the end...

Cleo Bannister said...

Sounds good to me Lauren, I've heard mixed things about this one and I can kind of understand why from your review - glad you enjoyed it.

Tanja - Tanychy said...

Oh this one has been really high on my wishlist. One of my friends won't stop talking about it. Now I'm really curious about all that multiple stories mix. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review :)

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Now I'm curious! Adding this to my reading list :)

Diva Booknerd said...

I've never read a Sedgwick before either. And while I love anything that breaks the typical literature mould, I think he's more of an acquired taste. I love books that come full circle though, it always feels like you've read something poignant that has the potential to change your life. Seeing you enjoyed it though Lauren, I'll have to check it out. Wonderful review hun <3

Nicole Hewitt said...

Sounds a little perplexing, but also really intriguing! Sorry you didn't absolutely love it, but I'm glad that you got to try out something new!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Michelle @ In Libris Veritas said...

I really enjoyed this one. It was incredibly different, but I was hooked! I'm glad you enjoyed it too

kimbacaffeinate said...

Ooo I am not going to lie you had me at "An archaeologist who unearths a mysterious artifact" I love these types of reads. Wonderful review Lauren.

Jennifer Humphries said...

Wow this sounds good. Some of YA adult stuff is focused too much on High School for my preference and I like the intriguing plot to this one!

Claudia Arroyo said...

I'm curious to know if this is a compilation of short narratives or if this is an actual plot line that holds a painter, a ghost, a vampire and a viking all one take! Because if it does, wow! That would be awesome! I have to admit though, that I do tend to get quite frustrated with short stories that leave a lot to be desired :/

Claudia @ My Soul Called Life

Sharons Book Nook! said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Great review Lauren.

Lauren D. said...

I wanted to read this and got distracted with other books - this is a great reminder to dig my copy out. Your review has me really curious to give it a try!

Candace said...

This is an author I've heard a lot of good things about but haven't read yet. I'm not really sure if I'll like his style or not.

Marianne Robles said...

My best friend loves Marcus Sedgwick. I like the sound of this book! Multiple POVs are my favorite thing. Especially the full circle thing. I just may have to check this one out! Great review :)

@Boricuan Bookworms.