Friday, May 22, 2015

The Wicked + The Divine Graphic Novel Review


The Wicked + The Divine, Volume 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

Review by Lauren

Source: library copy; all  opinions are my own


Official Summary: Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critically thermonuclear floor-fillers Young Avengers and Phonogram reunite to start a new, ongoing, superhero fantasy with a beautiful, oversized issue. Welcome to The Wicked + The Divine, where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you're immortal, doesn't mean you're going to live forever.

Review: I came across this graphic novel when I was perusing one of my local libraries and I was immediately enticed by the summary. This book follows a young lady named Laura who is obsessed with the gods- as everyone knows that these powerful pop stars are all supposedly real gods. Not everyone believes it, but the story and their personas are too enticing not to notice them. When Laura meets one of these gods, Luci (Lucifer), she finds herself seeing all the gods close up and working to clear Luci of murder. 

source

Volume 1 collects the first five comics of The Wicked + The Divine, so it’s a relatively quick read, but it’s also fascinating and really well illustrated. I’m so excited that Volume 2 comes out in July. I loved that while our heroine is Laura, we also get to learn a great deal about some of the other gods. They are all larger-than-life and often overdramatic, but at the same time, you can’t look away. They capture the mind and you simply want to know more. 

The Faust Act was a fantastic introduction to this series and again, I can’t wait for more. The book ended with a big twist that definitely has me excited to see where the story goes.

17 comments:

Melliane said...

It's nice that you found a new great series like that. It"s true that it's an intriguing topic.

Diva Booknerd said...

Ooh, Lucifer is a woman? I love when authors and illustrators in this case shake up gender roles. Especially turning more females into badass characters. Awesome stuff Lauren, this looks brilliant. Been looking to grab a few more graphic novels for when I can't be bothered and to stop those book slumps. Lovely review and thanks for sharing <3

Kindlemom said...

I love that pop star/god angel, very interesting! Lovely graphics on this too.
Great review! I hope you have a lovely weekend! :D

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Hm... interesting. Looks like over the top does so well in graphic form!

Claudia Arroyo said...

I can totally see how they would capture the mind Lauren. The illustrations look distinct and stylized to say the least. I have not purchased a comic book or graphic novel in so long, I may have to resort to the library for this though ;)

GABY said...

Seems interesting! I'll add it to my wishlist, I love discovering new graphic novels. Thanks for the recommendation!

Erika Sorocco said...

I'm not a graphic novel reader myself, but this one sounds intriguing.

xx

Jennifer Humphries said...

We are BIG fans of graphic novels in our house! I am so putting this on the our Library reserve list!

Medeia Sharif said...

I haven't seen this before and it does look good.

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

Ha, looks like it captured the God's perfectly though, I mean, look at mythology, most are larger-than-life and definitely overdramatic. Sounds fun! ;)

Jasprit said...

I'm not usually one to pick up graphic novels, but I really like the sound of this one, I also especially like books when they leave you wanting more in the end! Great review! :)

Liviania said...

I still need to read this one. Everyone *loves* it.

Coco said...

Thank you for the interesting review!
Baci,
Coco et La vie en rose fashion blog - Valeria Arizzi

Coco said...

Thank you for the interesting review!
Baci,
Coco et La vie en rose fashion blog - Valeria Arizzi

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Wow, this is quite intriguing!

Tracy Terry said...

Hmm, intrigued by how this works as a graphic novel. Given the synopsis I wasn't at all sure how/if it would work so thanks for your insightful review.

Sharons Book Nook! said...

I don't read many graphic novels, but I'm glad you found a good one. I might just have to check it out.