Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Life, Some Assembly Required by Kaje Harper


Life, Some Assembly Required by Kaje Harper 


Review by Lauren

Source: copy from netgalley; all opinions are my own


Official Summary: After spending the first part of his life chasing pretty girls, love has finally come to Ryan in the form of John, a tall, lanky, red-headed landscape architect with wide shoulders and a five-o’clock shadow.

For the first time in his life, love feels easy. Hell, he even ran into a burning building for John and his son, and he’d do it again if he had to. But telling his father and brothers “I’m gay. I’ve met a man”? That’s a bumpy ride he’s not looking forward to.

For John, loving Ryan is as natural as breathing. Now if only the rest of his life would fall into place. Dealing with his teen son is complicated enough, but with his ex-wife causing trouble and his daughter wanting to move in, John’s house—and his relationship with Ryan—threaten to split at the seams.

Would one month without a new surprise knocking him upside the heart be asking too much? If the sound of Fate’s laughter is any indication, the answer must be yes…

Review: This was listed as the second book in a series, but I tend to find most of these are companion novels and not direct sequels. I guess I was wrong with this one because the beginning of Ryan and John’s relationship is obviously detailed in the first novel. Regardless, Harper did a great job recapping the previous events and I never felt like I missed anything. I really just want to read the first book now because I loved the characters so much.

Life, Some Assembly Required is about medical student, Ryan, and landscape architect, John, who have fallen in love after only ever dating girls. John even has an ex-wife and two teenage children, one of whom is living with the guys. Despite the obvious difference in the lives they used to lead, both guys do their best to make the most of it. They know they love each other and that’s most important.

This book is not without its fair share of drama though. John’s ex is pregnant with her new husband and John’s daughter now wants to live with him. Ryan’s family doesn’t know he’s gay and he’s not really sure how they will take it, seeing as he was known for going through girls pretty quick. I think Harper did a good job blending the drama and romance of this story so that it never felt like too much in either direction.

There are some sexual scenes, but it doesn’t overpower the story and I always appreciate that. A good story is first and foremost in my book.

14 comments:

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) said...

I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy the first book even more. They are very closely connected since the second one picks up more or less where the first dropped off, and the issues are just a continuation of those in The Rebuilding Year. Plus, it's a shame to miss it, right?

Tracy Terry said...

Loving the title. This sounds like a book I'd really enjoy - complex characters and best of all their not all teenagers and relationships that are not the usual girl meets boy.

Nicole Hewitt said...

I can't read books out of order, even when they're supposed to be standalones. Just can't do it. Glad this one worked for you, even without the backstory!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Liviania said...

I've read a few Kaje Harper novels. They tend to be good.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Did you see the post on Nocturnal Library today? I am convinced I need to try this author. Glad to hear the sex didn't over power the story.

Kindlemom said...

Maja just did an interview with her today and it was great! Glad you both are loving this author so much! :D

Claudia Arroyo said...

I'm presently trying to push through a medical thriller, I'm glad you enjoyed this one. The family dynamics around the prose appear to be somewhat compelling.

Brandi Kosiner said...

I like stories with medical asepcts, so need to look more into it.

Melliane said...

I saw some nice things about this one. I wonder how you'll feel about the other book.

Diva Booknerd said...

I prefer when contemporary series' can also be read as standalones too. Sometimes you just don't want commit to an entire series. The author sounds like she did pretty well providing their backstory though, enough to get by. I'm glad you enjoyed this one Lauren, do you think you'll go back and read book one? Fabulous review hun <3

Erika Sorocco said...

I have to admit, the premise sounds interesting on this one. I don't think it's my cup of tea though - I really don't deal well with 'relationship' books lately. They just hold very little appeal for me at the moment. :/

xx

Krysten Quiles said...

May have to add this to my Goodreads!

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

Yay, glad the drama and romance is balanced, too much either way usually annoys me, haha. And glad that even though you haven't read the first one, it was easy to get into. (And recaps really are important, who knew?)

Sharons Book Nook! said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Great review.