Thursday, July 30, 2015

Love Lies Beneath by Ellen Hopkins


Love Lies Beneath by Ellen Hopkins

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Tara is gorgeous, affluent, and forty. She lives in an impeccably restored Russian Hill mansion in San Francisco. Once a widow, twice divorced, she’s a woman with a past she prefers keeping to herself.

Enter Cavin Lattimore. He’s handsome, kind, charming, and the surgeon assigned to Tara following a ski accident in Lake Tahoe. In the weeks it takes her to recover, Cavin sweeps her off her feet and their relationship blossoms into something Tara had never imagined possible. But then she begins to notice some strange things: a van parked outside her home at odd times, a break-in, threatening text messages and emails. She also starts to notice cracks in Cavin’s seemingly perfect personality, like the suppressed rage his conniving teenage son brings out in him, and the discovery that Cavin hired a detective to investigate her immediately after they met.

Now on crutches and housebound, Tara finds herself dependent on the new man in her life—perhaps too much so. She’s handling rocky relationships with her sister and best friend, who are envious of her glamour and freedom; her prickly brother-in-law, who is intimidated by her wealth and power; and her estranged mother. However perfect Tara’s life appears, things are beginning to get messy.


Review: Before reading Love Lies Beneath, the only novel I'd read by Hopkins was Triangles, her first foray into adult fiction. What I apparently missed when reading the summary for Love Lies Beneath is that the book is in prose - therefore, it's not in Hopkins' signature verse, like Triangles was and her many YA novels. This was a bit off-putting at first, as I really wanted to read a novel in verse, but I was soon swept into the story. There are poems spread throughout the book though, which was a nice touch.

At any rate, Love Lies Beneath is definitely a psychological thriller in a way, but it never really felt daunting. Depending on what you want out of the book, this can be a positive or a negative. I didn't mind it so much, but the book did feel a bit long for not having much of a suspenseful build up. There are many events that take place in the novel that make you wonder or feel a bit suspicious, but I never really thought of the book as overly suspenseful.

What I really loved about the book was the ending because it does take the reader in a direction you probably won't guess. If you do, good for you, but you won't know for sure until the end, so I think it should still be a bit of a shock. Overall, I enjoyed the novel and the situations that Tara is placed in by Hopkins. It was a bit of a longer read than necessarily needed, but the ultimate conclusion did leave me satisfied!

7 comments:

Melliane said...

It's great when a story takes a direction we don't expect like that

Kindlemom said...

Someone else I know recently read this and had similar thoughts about it. I actually think this is one that I want to try. Wonderful review!

Lindy Gomez said...

I love psychological thrillers, but need them to have a suspenseful build, or I imagine I would be a bit bored. I love that the ending took you in a different direction. I love it when a psychological thriller keeps you guessing, and has an ending that is not predictable. Excellent Review Lauren!

Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

Erika Sorocco said...

I LOVE psychological thrillers! I may need to check this one out!

xx

Brandi Kosiner said...

Great to hear about an unexpected direction for the ending

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Hmm... I am curious about the end. I haven't tried this author yet, I think I need to give her a whirl.

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

I usually do get the twists/mysteries right when it comes to psychological/thrillers, but I still read them hoping one will surprise me, but even when they don't, they're too good not to read, and it definitely sounds like a me book. :)