Friday, July 3, 2015

The Awesome by Eva Darrows


The Awesome by Eva Darrows

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Seventeen-year-old Maggie Cunningham is tough, smart, and sassy. She's also not like other girls her age, but then, who would be when the family business is monster hunting? Combat boots, ratty hooded sweatshirts, and hair worn short so nothing with claws can get a grip, Maggie's concerns in life slant more toward survival than fashion or boys. Which presents a problem when Maggie's mother informs Maggie that she can't get her journeyman's license for hunting until she loses her virginity.

Something about virgin blood turning vampires into pointy rage monsters. Blood and gore and insides being on the outside and all that.

Maggie's battled ghosts and goblins and her fair share of house brownies, but finding herself a boy - fitting in with her peers - proves a much more daunting task than any monster hunt. Did you know normal girls don't stuff their bras with holy water balloons? Nor do they carry wooden stakes in their waistbands. And they care about things like "matching" and "footwear." Of course, they also can't clean a gun blindfolded, shoot a crossbow, or exorcise ghosts from a house. Which means they're lame and Maggie's not. Because Maggie's awesome. The Awesome, in fact. Just ask her. She'd be more than happy to tell you.

After she finds herself a date.


Review: Maggie Cunningham really is awesome. She felt like a realistic girl that a lot of people could relate too, minus the whole "hunting monsters" thing. She doesn't really have any friends her age, besides a girl named Julie. Maggie would much rather track down monsters with her really cool mom than go out on a date, but in order to move up and get her journeyman's license, Maggie can't be a virgin. Vampires are really crazy when they smell virgin blood, and therefore, Maggie is stuck with some of the more easier monsters.

Using Julie to bring her to a party, Maggie tries to get rid of her V-card but it's not that easy. I really appreciated that Darrows, while using a lot of humor, still showed a realistic nature to sex. Maggie was nervous and not completely in love with her body, but it wasn't too overboard though because Maggie is relatively confident with most things. Sex in this book was treated like something normal, and I loved that. Even Maggie's mom was pretty chill about it. Yes, she talked about safe sex and not letting guys get away with things, but besides that, she's all about loving yourself and your sexuality.

While Maggie does find a guy to hopefully have sex with, things soon become complicated. The guy in this book is Ian and he's such a cutie. He's a bit awkward and nervous, but he's also a good person who doesn't run off scared when Maggie's monster-hunting starts to show up in her everyday, "regular" life.

The Awesome is a really quick read, and it's full of humor. Maggie is a very funny and snarky narrator, which I love. I would definitely read more Maggie adventures if Darrows decides to do a sequel!

13 comments:

Melliane said...

Oh yes this one sounds really fun, first time I hear about it I confess.

Kirsty-Marie Jones said...

YAY! Finally, a book that portrays sex as not such a book thing and normal, really hate it when books get unrealistic, I mean, yeah, it's a big deal, but it's not that as big of a deal. And especially love her mother talking to her about things.

Tracy Terry said...

Loving the cover and the thought of such great characters. Great review, this sounds like a unique take on the whole supernatural thing and fun as well.

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I have read a couple of reviews for this one, and I am curious about it. I think it sounds funny. I am going to see if I can get if from my library

Krysten Quiles said...

This sounds awesome!

Adriana Garcia said...

I don't know about the premise. I do kind of like that it's a segue to talk about sexuality, safe sex, and loving yourself though. I think I will enjoy The Awesome more so because of the humor. That cover is awesome btw!

Lindy Gomez said...

I love stories full of funny and snarky humor. I think it's great that the author approached sex as being a normal part of life. Maggie's Mom sounds wonderful, and Ian sounds like a sweet guy! Lovely Review Lauren :)

Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

Medeia Sharif said...

I've never seen this book before, but it does sound interesting with the monsters and her problem. I'll add it to my wish list.

Erika Sorocco said...

Ooh this one sounds brilliant - I love monster / vampire hunting type stuff. I definitely need to check this one out!

xx

Aneeqah said...

Hahaha, the synopsis alone of this book made me laugh, so I can't even begin to imagine how hilarious this book was!! I'm loving the sound of Maggie. She seems like she's super kick-butt, but still a little insecure- that's such a great combination because it's realistic, you know? It's also awesome the messages this book promotes, too!! Ian sounds absolutely adorable. <33 Seeing Maggie open up to him definitely seems like it would be really fun.

Lovely, lovely review! Looks like I'll have to check this book out. :D

Sharons Book Nook! said...

Sounds like a fun read. Great review Lauren!

Liliana E. said...

This one does sound like fun! I'm so glad you liked it! I've actually had it for a while and I think I really need to read it soon!

Paula Micahella Bulos said...

Oooh. This sounds awesome. I'm huge fan of snarky humor. The main character looks like someone I'll like. Thanks so much for that great review :)

- Paula M @ Her Book Thoughts