Sunday, September 13, 2015

GTK (5) + BookCase.Club Subscription Box Review

Getting to Know: I used to be part of an online book club for years. I was even one of the moderators by the end, as it was on a forum. It was a great way to meet new people who had the same interests as you (this is before I started a blog and found other book bloggers). We also read the same books and had discussions as we went along; usually week by week but sometimes people read faster and created a final thread to discuss the book as a whole.

I found some great authors this way like Nick Hornby and Chuck Palahniuk. I also discovered Gillian Flynn, back when she published her debut novel, Sharp Objects (it was a book club pick). We also read classics like The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I loved being part of this club and I even got to meet a lot of the "regular" members a couple times. One of the members lives in NYC and any time I visit, I always meet up with her, including this past May when I went to BEA.

To go with this week's Getting to Know, I wanted to share a suitable subscription service called BookCase.Club. They sent me a subscription box for September to review; all opinions are my own!

One thing I really like about this service is that you choose the theme you want - Paranormal Romance, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Young Adult, Mystery/Thriller, Children's Picture Books, and Romance Novels.

Choose the theme you want. Pick the order type. Get two books in the mail every month, as well as another fun bookish item.

Month-to-Month: $9.99 (shipping $5)
3 Month Prepay: $28.00 (shipping $5)
6 Month Prepay: $54.00 (shipping $5)
12 Month Prepay: $100.00 (shipping $5)

Ships To: The Contiguous United States at the moment

Charity: "BookCase.Club has partnered with Books For Keeps, and each month we will donate a book for each new and recurring subscription."

My Review: I was given the opportunity to review one of the boxes that BookCase.Club sends out every month. I decided to go with the Young Adult case because I love YA books and I know a lot of you reading this do too! I figured it might be the box of most interest.

The fun, bookish item I was sent was this Do it Now: Daily Action Plan for Guaranteed Success which is pretty cool. I think it would be a nice holiday gift so someone could start using it during the new year. Be sure to check out the link for the Amazon listing if you wish to know more! Overall, I thought this was a fun addition. I like that it goes along with the whole book theme but it's not what you'd expect from a book subscription service.

Underneath the journal, I found this two beauties nestled in my box (it was a plain white box, by the way, in case you are curious how things are shipped!). These are both part of series that I have wanted to read for a while now, so that's awesome! Etiquette and Espionage is the first in Gail Carriger's YA series, so I'll have to try and start this soon. Zom-B: Underground is actually the second book in the series. It's not too far in and I can probably find the first book for cheap or at the library, so it's not a big deal. Regardless, if you are going to be sent a series book, it would be nice to get the first, just in case!!

I'm excited about the books I was sent. They aren't super new releases, so there is a chance that people getting this box will have already read these or have copies. I suppose that's the chance you take, but I'd give the box a few months to see if you mostly get new books. If not, it might be a good idea to try a different theme if you don't usually buy certain books but still like them. For me, I think I'd get a lot of books I hadn't read in the Mystery/Thriller category, and it's one that I still really love. I also really like the Children's Picture Books option for my niece and nephew, or even to donate to a local library or school that could use them. All the boxes are a fairly good price for two books a month + something extra, I think!

What do you think? What theme would you choose?


The Bibliophile Babe said...

This box looks so cool! I think I'd pick paranormal. I'll go check them out!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

What a fun subscription box! I've been wanting to read Etiquette and Espionage :)

Kindlemom said...

These always look so fun but I rarely see a theme I like but I admit, I love this theme! You can't go wrong with books!

Shannon Miz said...

This looks SO fun! I would definitely pick the YA theme. I like this because there's actually a better chance that I would NOT have read an older book- or at least, a better chance I wouldn't own it, since I basically started hoarding only after I started blogging ;) I love the idea of a book club too, I would LOVE to have an IRL one!
Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

Cleo Bannister said...

This sounds like a great idea - there are similar places in the UK but they only usually do one book a month, I like the idea of two and something book related - it makes it more of a surprise!

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds like an awesome box to subscribe too and I love you get to pick the type of box.

Diva Booknerd said...

This is actually one of the best subscription boxes I've seen so far Lauren, not only reasonably priced but you can choose your genre. If I was in the US, I'd jump on this one. It looks awesome. Thanks for sharing Lauren <3

Erika Sorocco said...

Yaasss! Such a fun idea for a subscription box! I would select YA as my theme as well. I actually read Etiquette & Espionage when it was first released and enjoyed it - it's a total essential if you're into steampunk!


Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger said...

The book subscription boxes that I have checked out seem to be way more expensive than BookCase. I'm going to let my family know about his one. Maybe they'll by me a subscription for christmas ;)

Claudia Arroyo said...

You're finding so many cool subscriptions! I've seen a few book subscriptions but have not ventured much into them because most, if not all, of the subscriptions I've stumbled upon are overly expensive. This one is reasonable though! I clicked on the link though, and it's not working :/

Naomi Hop said...

It's cool they sent you a couple of extra reads... Love the cover to Etiquette and Espionage.

Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace

Candace said...

I like getting surprises in the mail but because I have so many books I think that I would be getting a lot of doubles or a lot of books I'm not interested in. I also don't like that sometimes it might not be the first in a series. I understand why it would be that way, but personally it would just sit on my shelf and probably never get read. And interestingly enough, I have both of these books though the Zom-B one will never get read. Etiquette and Espionage is really good though!

Liz. R said...

Oh I love this! I really like the idea of book subscription boxes but we don't have any in the UK really, and the US ones that ship to the UK have extortionate shipping costs! So sad. But this box looks awesome. I've actually read Etiquette and Espionage and really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing :).

Nicole Hewitt said...

Yeah, seems like it would be safer to send a first book in a series, but it still seems like a fun subscription!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction