Saturday, September 26, 2015

Never, Never by Brianna R. Shrum


Never, Never by Brianna R. Shrum

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: James Hook is a child who only wants to grow up.

When he meets Peter Pan, a boy who loves to pretend and is intent on never becoming a man, James decides he could try being a child - at least briefly. James joins Peter Pan on a holiday to Neverland, a place of adventure created by children's dreams, but Neverland is not for the faint of heart. Soon James finds himself longing for home, determined that he is destined to be a man. But Peter refuses to take him back, leaving James trapped in a world just beyond the one he loves. A world where children are to never grow up.

But grow up he does.

And thus begins the epic adventure of a Lost Boy and a Pirate.

This story isn't about Peter Pan; it's about the boy whose life he stole. It's about a man in a world that hates men. It's about the feared Captain James Hook and his passionate quest to kill the Pan, an impossible feat in a magical land where everyone loves Peter Pan.


Review: To be honest, I have never read the original Peter Pan story. I have seen various film adaptations of it though, so I was really excited about reading a book that focuses on a young James Hook who is essentially lied to by Peter Pan. If you want a book where Pan is a lovable boy, then don't read this book. Pan is not someone to admire in this story. The question though - is James?

Never, Never was an atmospheric novel with some great characters. You don't really get to know many of them besides James Hook, but I felt like you knew enough about them to care about their feelings and their lives. Tiger Lily had a large role in the second half of the book. She is made to love Pan, but James can't help falling for her and that dynamic is very interesting.

This is a dark novel, full of action and mixed emotions. I do think it was a bit long in parts, but then again, I read this as an e-book and I think physical novels tend to go faster sometimes. It all depends! Despite it feeling long, I can understand how everything works and nothing felt unneeded.

Never, Never was an exciting adventure story and I am curious to see what everyone else thinks, so share your thoughts below!

19 comments:

Christy @ Love of Books said...

Peter Pan isn't exactly my favorite. I can take it or leave it. But, how cool this book sounds!

Melliane said...

I've never read a Peter Pan retelling but I love the idea and I confess that I'm intrigued by this one!

Erika Sorocco said...

I am a HUGE Peter Pan fan, so I'm not sure if I would love the way he was characterized in this. :/

xx

Cleo Bannister said...

I can't believe you haven't read Peter Pan - I'm a huge fan and really quite taken by the story of Captain Hook - thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Claudia Arroyo said...

I've been reading so many positive reviews for this one, but I'm more intrigued with the novel Wendy Darling which is due to be released on October 13th! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Kindlemom said...

I remember loving the cover the first time I saw it and it is still fantastic!
I have never read the original story either but this sounds like it was a great representation of the classic.

Joyous Reads said...

Sigh. I've never seen nor read any Peter Pan books/retellings/films. So I don't really know much about this. I like the different perspective this offers, though. Kinda seeing it from a different view is interesting.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think the Tiger Lily dynamic was interesting and enjoyed it. I t is definitely a bit darker. I also think it was a little long/slow at times. Great review!!

Kaitlin Emily said...

Have been really wanting to get to this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review and super excited to read Never, Never.

~Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

I love a spin on a classic, and this sounds so interesting!

Sharons Book Nook! said...

Love the sound of this. I loved Peter Pan when I was a child, not so much as an adult but James Hook has always intrigued me. Might have to give this a go.

Faye M. said...

I always appreciate it when retellings are darker than the original! Tiger Lily (the retelling by Jodi Lynn Anderson I think?) was a pretty dark retelling too and I absolutely loved it. Looking forward to this one! Have you read Alias Hook as well?

Faye at The Social Potato

Diva Booknerd said...

It takes a brave author to take on a classic and thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed this one Lauren. I'm usually a big fan of dark retellings and looking forward to giving this one a try. Brilliant review and thanks for sharing <3

Karen Alderman said...

I don't remember much about the original other than the more recent TV takes on the story but I like the sound of this. Especially since you say it's a little darker.

Karen @For What It's Worth

Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger said...

I've heard great things about Never, never. I haven't read the original peter pan story either, but have seen movie adaptions as well :)

Brandi Kosiner said...

Exciting action sounds great! I love this cover

GABY said...

I remember reading the original Peter Pan story a couple of years ago, but honestly I like more the adaptations. This one seems interesting, I always wondered about the story behind Hook.

Bec Reader said...

I haven't read the original Peter Pan yet either, nor have I actually read any retellings yet! I need to though. And I like that this one is dark. Dark stories are the best :D

Beth said...

I'm really excited to read this! Like you, I'm not a HUGE fan of Peter Pan, but I love the retellings I've read. My favourite is Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson, and this sounds. not too dissimilar... I'll definitely be checking this out, as soon as my book ban is over!
Beth x
www.thequietpeople.com