Thursday, September 17, 2015

Not My Boyfriend by Monica L. Anderson


Not My Boyfriend by Monica L. Anderson

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Stuck at a co-workers retirement party, Max prepares himself for a long, boring night— until a guy across the bar with an intense brown gaze and a dangerous smirk offers some mutual gratification in the bathroom. Max had been looking for a forever love, but Karson’s so hot, forever can wait.Ever since his cheating ex broke his heart, Karson’s had rules. Only pleasure. Nevermore than once. Never stay the night. Yet long after their romp in the bar bathroom, Karson still wants Max—maybe enough to break his own rules.As Max and Karson struggle to sort out their complicated non-relationship, Karson’s ex resurfaces in full win-him-back mode. One white lie later, Max attends Karson’s tenth annual high-school reunion as his “boyfriend” to keep his ex away. But pretending is hard, when all Max wants is for the lie to be the truth.

Review: Let me preface this review by saying that this is quite a physical novel, as Max and Karson's relationship consists mostly of sex for awhile. Max is desperate to find someone he can really settle down with and he doesn't want anymore one-night stands. Karson, on the other hand, is too afraid to get close to anyone after his long-time ex cheated on him. Therefore, when these two get together, they try and keep it at sex. It fits the story and the characters, but if you want more of a story line and less sex, then you might not like this one as much.

Moving on...Max is a really sweet guy who definitely deserves love. He also works in a library, which I personally find adorable. As for Karson, he's a good guy and I feel bad for how he was treated by his ex. At the same time, I disliked how he treated Max through their "relationship" at least in terms of stringing him along. He knows Max wants more, but Karson just keeps going back to try and get Max out of his system. It's obvious he's falling for Max and the two do get to know each other as their non-relationship continues. Regardless, it would have been nice to have more of a personal connection with these two. It just seems to go from a sexual relationship to them falling in love without a lot in between.

I liked Not My Boyfriend, but it's definitely not my favorite m/m novel or book published by Samhain Publishing, who release a lot of great novels. I also hate to admit this, but I couldn't remember a ton of details about this book after having finished it about a week ago. I don't necessarily remember everything from a book, but I think I was confusing this one with another m/m book I read even longer ago. It looks like I remember that title better, which isn't the greatest in terms of Not My Boyfriend's likability longevity. Regardless, I'm glad I had the chance to check this one out and I am curious about Anderson's other novels.

13 comments:

Melliane said...

It looks ok even if it's not the best

Tracy Terry said...

A bit put off by the words 'it is quite a physical novel' - it's not that I'm homophobic just a bit of a prude when it comes to sex in novels - and even more so by your conclusion that this isn't the best of m/m novels you have read.

Great that such a genre exists. I certainly can't think of any books like this when I was young and talking to my gay friends neither can they which for many of them added to their feelings that they were somehow 'abnormal.

Erika Sorocco said...

I'm on hiatus from romance or 'physical novels' for now - I find that so many of them can play into cliches and just feel boring. I'm on a mystery kick!

xx

Erika Sorocco said...

I'm on hiatus from romance or 'physical novels' for now - I find that so many of them can play into cliches and just feel boring. I'm on a mystery kick!

xx

Brandi Kosiner said...

Max sounds like a great and sweet character

Kristin @ My ParaHangover said...

This one sounds like one of those solid 3 star reviews where you know it was okay, someone will enjoy it, you were entertained, but it just didn't stand out. It sounds like a good story! I always like these types of stories... as long as there's a HEA!!!!!! Tough to review but you did a great job!!!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I am never a fan of books that have so much sex that it overshadows the story. I think this is definitely not one for me. Thanks for the honest review.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I still haven't read a m/m novel where there is physical action so to say. I am not opposed just haven't picked one up yet. I will say I hate n any book when it's just about the sex to super in love without much of an in between. Glad you did enjoy this even if it wasn't the best.

The Bibliophile Babe said...

I need to read an m/m novel. Great review!

Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger said...

I love the sound of the M/M novel! I haven't read much erotic romance here lately and this one sounds like the perfect one to dive back into :) Thanks for the wonderful review!

Candace said...

I generally don't like much sex in books so I'll probably skip this one since that's so prevalent. But the rest of the story sounds pretty good. Well, I might get mad since he gets strung along for so long but it might be good for that as well.

Lexxie Lin said...

I have a hard time connecting with characters if there is 'too much' sex in the beginning... I know some relationship start like that, but it makes it difficult for me to get a feel for the characters, if what they are after is just a physical release.
This does sound pretty good anyway, though, I might just put it on my 'maybe' shelf :)
Great review!

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

Naomi Hop said...

I haven't ventured into the world of M/M romance as yet, but this sounds like a good read. I'm not sure that my first read should be so heavy on the sex either. I like the sound of Karson! He sounds like a great character, a shame Max was treated so poorly, then in turn, didn't treat Karson as well as he should.

Naomi @ Naomi’s Reading Palace