Monday, November 2, 2015

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell + Make it a Gift


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell 

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from library; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


Review: I actually read this book over a month ago, but I'm scheduling this review as part of Blog Ahead. It took me awhile to read Fangirl, but I knew that I would love it. I was a huge fangirl (I still am in many ways) and Cath sounded just like me in a lot of ways. After finishing this book, I can now say I was right. I really loved Fangirl. I know some people didn't really like the Simon Snow fan fiction, but as someone who grew up writing and reading Harry Potter fan fiction, I enjoyed it! Simon Snow is essentially Harry Potter, after all.

At any rate, I know most of you reading this have probably already read Fangirl or decided whether or not you are going too, so I won't make this long:

*I really did relate to Cath- she's shy and anxious, loves to read and write.

*Levi is adorable and a really good friend.

*I felt for Wren, even if she did annoy me at times, since we are following Cath's point of view.

*I liked Cath and Wren's dad - he's another character you really feel for and I wish the girls were around to help him more. At the same time, it's important for them all to live their own lives.

*I liked the fan fiction that Cath wrote - I'll admit it, I totally shipped Harry and Draco in fan fiction, so Simon/Baz worked for me!


Make it a Gift is a feature I include on some book reviews where I match up the book with another item so you can really gift the book!



You can buy one of these button bookmarks for $2.50 or the whole set for $7.00. The middle bookmark is from one of Rainbow Rowell's adult titles, but the first and last are from Fangirl.

You can find Bookish Buttons on Etsy - they have other pins and bookmarks for your favorite titles!

15 comments:

Cleo Bannister said...

So clever to have gifts to go with this book. Isn't it great when you see elements of yourself in a character?

Melliane said...

I enjoyed the book here but I confess that I wasn't that much into the fanfiction parts...

Joyous Reads said...

Yay! So glad you enjoyed this book. I adore Cath and Levi! Oh and those buttons are so cute!

Karen Alderman said...

I'm one of the very few people left that hasn't read this yet. I know everyone loves it & I do have it - just haven't gotten to it yet.

Karen @For What It's Worth

Erika Sorocco said...

I cannot tell you how many times I have picked this book up - it looks like such a blast!

xx

Tracy Terry said...

Loving this series in which you marry two individual things together to make the perfect gift.

Fangirl sounds like a fun read and oh my goodness how cute are those badge bookmarks.

Kindlemom said...

I really liked this as well but it did take me a bit to really get into the story but, by the end I loved it. :D

Heidi Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I loved the story, but I was one who did not like the fan fiction. I ended up skimming it and skipping it alll together.

Claudia Arroyo said...

Great review Lauren! Fangirl is still on my TBR, I do hope I will be able to get to it someday soon :) Thanks for sharing the button bookmarks too! They are absolutely adorable!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

I loved Fangirl, and the bookmarks are so cute :)

The Bibliophile Babe said...

I still need to read a Rowell book! Great review. :)

Lexxie Lin said...

This book has been on my TBR shelf for quite a while, Lauren, and I think you've managed to convince me I should push it up a bit :) I have read fanfic in the past, but now, I just don't have time for that anymore. It's nice when you can stay in the same universe after a series is over.
Have a terrific Tuesday!
Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

Sarah @ One Curvy Blogger said...

OMG those bookmarks are adorable. I have never read Fangirl - or anything by this author but I really, REALLY want to! Glad you enjoyed Fangirl so much :D

Lia | The Book Tribe said...

I loved "Fangirl" too and I can pretty much subscribe to everything you said.
The Simon Snow fan fiction didn't bother me. I confess I just tried to picture it as a totally original idea rather then a Harry Potter related analogy. I never shipped Harry and Draco. Personally, I was always more of a Draco/Hermione fangirl ^^
Nevertheless, I'm excited to read "Carry On".
The "Make It a Gift" thing is just genius! I'll be keeping an eye out for your future reviews :)

Anne Engelhart said...

This is such a cute idea for a feature! I absolutely love Fangirl, and recently bought some cute postcards that I will just use as posters in my office! :)