Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday: Calvin by Martine Leavitt

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine


Calvin by Martine Leavitt

Out: November 17, 2015 (not too long!)

Add on Goodreads!

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Calvin has always known his fate is linked to the comic book character from Calvin & Hobbes. He was born on the day the last strip was published; his grandpa left a stuffed tiger named Hobbes in his crib; and he even has a best friend named Susie. As a child Calvin played with the toy Hobbes, controlling his every word and action, until Hobbes was washed to death. But now Calvin is a teenager who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, Hobbes is back—as a delusion—and Calvin can't control him. Calvin decides that if he can convince Bill Watterson to draw one final comic strip, showing a normal teenaged Calvin, he will be cured. Calvin and Susie (and Hobbes) set out on a dangerous trek across frozen Lake Erie to track him down.

Why I Want to Read:  I love the Calvin and Hobbes comic strips, so that fact alone had me curious about this novel. However, I also really like books that deal with mental illness, so I want to see how Leavitt deals with that particular topic. I've never read anything by this author, but this is definitely one I hope to read soon! 

What do you think about this title? What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

17 comments:

Christy LoveOfBooks said...

Oh wow, this DOES sound good. So interesting.

Erika Sorocco said...

I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes - this sounds awesome!

P.S. I am so wish you - I would live in fall/winter clothing year-round if I could!

xx

Karen Alderman said...

I just read an article highlighting this book. It sounds great!

Karen @For What It's Worth

christine danielle said...

Wow this sounds really interesting. I love how this talks about a serious mental illness which I think many people still are unaware of.
MY WAITING ON WEDNESDAY

Brandi Kosiner said...

Great pick- hope you get a chance to read it soon.

Kindlemom said...

Oh I bet this will be fun!

Tracy Terry said...

Hmm, Never a big fan of the cartoon but with a keen interest in how mental illness is dealt with in fiction I think I'll keep a look out for this one but probably not to buy.

Heidi Rainy Day Ramblings said...

This sounds like an interesting read. Schizophrenia isn't a topic you see often in YA books, and it is a tough one.

Barb said...

This sounds like one I will have to grab when it comes out. I have never seen it before so thanks for posting about it!

Claudia Arroyo said...

I love how you easily choose books that uncover sensitive issues and difficult topics to the forefront. Calvin sounds heartrending; that's for sure!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

I like the sound of this!

Lia | The Book Tribe said...

Yes, it does sound like a lovely book even though I've never read any Calvin & Hobbes comics before. Still, I may end up picking this one up once it comes out. Thanks you for sharing! :)

Joyous Reads said...

I've never read the comics, but I think it would be interesting to read it in a novel format. :) Enjoy!

Naomi Hop said...

Sounds like a great plot twist! I hope you enjoy it!

Lisa @ Lost in Literature said...

Ha! I used to LOVE Calvin and Hobbs!! And yay for books that are releasing soon!!! :)

Tara Tyler R said...

what a special, unique story - i love calvin and hobbes too. very touching!
should be a great read.

ps - thanks for stopping by my Simulation release tour!

Abi Pearson said...

Woah that cover! :)