Friday, December 4, 2015

Review: Batgirl of Burnside Volume 1

Batgirl of Burnside Volume 1 

Review by Lauren

Source: copy from library; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: Burnside - the coolest neighborhood in Gotham - is a hub for young artists, fashionistas and techies. And now, it is also home to Batgirl. As the newest resident of the city’s hippest zip code, Barbara has new roommates, a new school and a new costume.

But as Batgirl’s popularity grows (along with her devoted online fan base), Burnside suddenly seems to have an excess of Batgirls. And one of these imposters is out to kill off the original!

Review: When it comes to comics/graphic novels, I tend to favor the DC universe more. I haven't read that many stories featuring Batgirl so it was fun to check out volume 1 of this new collection of stories surrounding the young heroine. These stories are more geared toward a teen female audience. Barbara, otherwise known as Batgirl, is living in an apartment with a friend. She uses social media. She works at a college on a computer science project. She likes to go out and have fun. She crushes on boys and goes on dates.


Oh yeah, and she fights off the bad guys of Burnside.

As for the overall story in this volume, I thought it was well done. It kept me reading and curious to see what would happen. I was worried about Barbara's reputation as fake Batgirls were going out and acting very un-Batgirl like. I was never really worried about her safety though - Barbara's got this!

I loved the various friends in Barbara's life. They are all very unique and diverse. This is definitely not a case where everyone is white and cookie-cutter, so I appreciated that! 

I did like how part of the mystery had to do with a dating website, as it's just another modern addition to the Batgirl stories. Burnside is a hip place and Batgirl definitely fits in! I want to read volume 2 and see where Barbara goes next!


Melliane said...

It sounds fun, I don't read a lot of comics but I think I could enjoy this one!

Erika Sorocco said...

OMG yaaasss! I LOVE Batgirl / Barbara - totally want to check this one out!


Tracy Terry said...

Love feisty female characters so I might well enjoy this more than I think I'd enjoy a comic novel starring, lets say, Batman.

Heidi Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I remember when I was about five years old, I had a crush on Robin and I totally wanted to be Batgirl. My inner little girl would love to read this.

Kindlemom said...

This sounds like a pretty solid graphic, glad you liked it so much!

Joyous Reads said...

Lovely! The only graphic novels I can tolerate is the Saga series. this one sounds like a ton of fun!

DMS said...

I love graphic novels and this sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing! :)

Books And Authors Spot said...

I have never read a graphic novel before but this sounds so interesting! :)

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I don't really read comics or graphic novels - no reason why really. I should really branch out and try. Glad you enjoyed this!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

This looks so cute and fun!

Claudia Arroyo said...

You had me at, "I tend to favor the DC universe more." Gah! I'm a certified DC Comics Fangirl and the rivalry between Marvel is real in my world ha ha! I'm so glad you enjoy the DC universe more though, that's awesome!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but there's an actual Batgirl comic book series presently out right now that implements bisexual and transgender themes. Barbara comes out as bisexual and shares an intense emotional relationship with her college roommate. I think you would like it ;)

Cait @ Paper Fury said...

I'm like a 99% lover of Marvel...I nearly don't even speak the name DC. HEHE. BUT STILL!! I do love Batman, so I'm sure I'd love Batgirl and I really adore comics that feature women. SO I NEED THIS BASICALLY. Loved the review!!

Jennifer Humphries said...

We are huge comic aficionados here! Can't get enough of it all. My oldest would love this. Thank you for sharing your review here!

Marianne @ The Book Belles said...

Ohhhhh that sounds so fun! I love comics (and I'm both a DC and Marvel fangirl), and I'm always looking for a comic. This one doesn't seem to need the backstory most DC or Marvel comics do. Plus... Batgirl is super awesome, so I can't wait to read this! Great review! :)

Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms.

Adriana Garcia said...

Yes! This is right on the top of my TBR list and I didn't even know what it was about until now :P
Why is she not in Gotham though? She needs to be in Gotham!
You should try Gotham Academy if you haven't already.