Friday, January 15, 2016

Unique Formatting Challenge: Book Ideas!


Whether you know you are taking part in the Unique Formatting Book Challenge or not, I wanted to make sure you all had a lot of book ideas that might work for you! I know some of you think you don't like different formats, but maybe something will stick out and you'll want to try! If you click the above button in the right hand sidebar, you will find the sign up post. That linky is closed - this is OKAY! Each month will be a new link up to share books for this challenge. If you link up a review, you're automatically part of the challenge. Try to reach a certain goal or just link up when you wish. I'll have giveaways every three months or so!

Adult Unique Format Books-

Night Film by Marisha Pessl- includes photos, web pages, etc.

Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole - told in letters

The October List by Jeffrey Deaver - includes photos

Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher - told in letters

Young Adult Unique Format Books-

The Boy Meets Girl Massacre by Ainskie Hogarth -  includes footnotes

The Truth Commisson by Susan Juby - includes footnotes and illustrations

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan - includes photos

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich - includes notes, diary entries, photos, etc.

Into the Dangerous World by Julie Chibbaro - includes illustrations

Happyface by Stephen Emond-  includes illustrations

Malice and Havoc (two different books) by Chris Wooding - includes comics throughout the narrative

Juvenile Unique Format Books-

Trial by Journal by Kate Klise - told through illustrations, newspaper articles, etc.

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanha Lai - told in verse

My Secret War Diary by Marcia Williams - told in diary format with lots of pictures and illustrations

14 comments:

Kindlemom said...

I actually like reading something different so thanks for all the recommendations and books to consider!

Have a wonderful weekend and good luck with your challenge!

Erika Sorocco said...

The Dead House is incredible! I read it around Thanksgiving and could not put it down! Trial By Journal is another fave of mine!

xx

Tracy Terry said...

Some great ideas. I had thought I hadn't read many books that used 'different formatting' but when I take into account books that contain photos (I particularly enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children which I see is now available in a graphic novel format) I guess I have read a fair few over the years.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I enjoy books with different styles of story telling!

Brandi Kosiner said...

Hmm, poetry usually doesn't do it for me, but have enjoyed some that have letters in them

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

Hmmm, I have Night Film on my Audible TBR, I wonder how that will translate since I won't be able to see the photos and web pages...

The Bibliophile Babe said...

I need to try some of these!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Letters from Skye is a good one! I love a story told through letters :)

Bec Reader said...

I haven't read many books with unique formatting, but the ones I have read were a lot of fun! Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman is a new one I'd recommend. Meg Cabot also has a series of Adult romance companion novels told through emails and things that are a lot of fun.

Zoe N. said...

This is such a great post Lauren! I always like it when authors find ways to make their books unique and stand out, and unique formatting does just that. :) I don't know if you've read Illuminae or not, but that's also an amazing example of a book with a unique format. Thanks for sharing this! <3

Cleo Bannister said...

I really want to read Letters from Skye, I do love books made up of letters and this one sounds a particularly good example. I do like the sound of this challenge with it's wide range of subject matter available.

Diva Booknerd said...

Another vote here for Illuminae too Lauren. That book is absolutely amazing and must admit, one of the most unique formats I've come across. I've come across a few with little quirks added that really extend the reading experience, Green Valentine has little footnotes about our environment and facts scattered throughout, and given the storyline was a really lovely addition. Going to check a few of these out Lauren and thanks so much for sharing <3

Nicole Hewitt said...

I read a book with lots of IMs in it recently - it was a YA book about Catfishing. Does that count? (The book was called Identity Crisis, by the way). This doesn't seem nearly as unique as some of the examples you give here, but the IMs were an important part of the story! :-)

Joyous Reads said...

You should add House fo Leaves and Youth in Revolt. :D