Monday, April 4, 2016

Bridge the Gap Review: Fjord Blue by Nina Rossing


Fjord Blue by Nina Rossing

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryAfter a year of partying, getting into fights, and finally crashing his father’s vintage Bonneville in a car chase, seventeen-year-old Benjamin has pushed his parents to their limit. It’s not like he can tell them why he’s so angry at life, or that he’ll do anything to distract himself from the lust he feels toward his best friend’s sexy cousin, Dino. He can’t even protest when he’s sent away from Miami to spend the summer working on his grandparents’ farm in the desolate fjords of Western Norway. The farm is isolated and old-fashioned, and so are Ben’s religious grandparents. It’s cold and wet, and Ben is miserable and restless. Relief comes in the form of Even, the eighteen-year-old blond Viking farmhand who offers Ben friendship and a new outlook on his situation. But Even is hiding issues of his own. Ben’s grandparents want him to inherit the farm, but the only thing keeping Ben there is his desire to know Even better. As the feelings between the two young men grow, things kept hidden are slowly revealed—for good and ill—and they must turn to unlikely places for encouragement.

Review: Fjord Blue was one of those books where I really just wanted the attraction between Ben and Even to finally lead to something! Rossing definitely keeps you hanging in suspense for a bit.

Regardless, there is more going on in this book than just the possibility of romance. After living life on the wild side for a bit, and almost killing himself in a car racing accident, Ben is sent to live with his dad's parents in Norway for the summer. This means a summer of no contact with the outside world, waking up early in the morning to work the farm. Of course, the fact that Even works for his grandparents means that Ben has someone to pine over, if only he can really get over the fact that he's gay.

First off, let me say that I love books set in other countries. It was great to read Rossing's descriptions of the land and the people in Norway. I can see why it would be a nice vacation for people - as you see in the form of foreigners coming to view the farm as a means of gaining extra money.

As for the characters, I really liked Ben, even if he's quick to do things he really shouldn't. It's easy to see that he's growing and changing while in Norway though. He's beginning to think more of the future and less about the present moment. His grandparents are definitely old-fashioned in many ways, but I loved the ways they surprised the reader. As for Even, he has some baggage and a past that he isn't willing to share right away. I was definitely curious to learn more about him and he's someone that you'll surely fall in love with, as he's always trying to be positive and keep his eye on the future and how life will be better in the long run.

I will admit that Fjord Blue was a bit of a slow read in places, but well worth it in the end!


This was a Bridge the Gap book. The book is not only set in Norway, but that is where the author lives as well, so you know it's accurate! If you read a book written by a foreign author (not just set in a different country) please feel free to use the above button in your post and let me know!

17 comments:

Melliane said...

I didn't know about this one but it's great that you had more than what you expected despite the slow pace for some parts

Jennifer @ Bad Bird Reads said...

Don't like slow but this sounds good.

Medeia Sharif said...

I also like different settings. This one has a great storyline. Too bad about the slow parts, though.

Erika Sorocco said...

It's awesome that you're able to forge through slower parts; I always have a problem sticking it out when the storyline slows. :/

xx

Karen Alderman said...

I love the idea of the setting in Norway!


Karen @For What It's Worth

cleemckenzie said...

I don't mind a slower read when the characters and the plot continue to develop.

Brandi Kosiner said...

I like a slow burn but sounds like it may have ignited a little late, lol

Kindlemom said...

Glad that even if this was slow at times that it was worth it in the end. :D Great review!

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I don't know if I have ever read a book set in Norway. The cover is so stunning, it makes me want to cuddle up and read by a fire.

Tanya Atkinson said...

I think the slow burn would drive me crazy after a bit. But I love the setting and it sounds like it was truly enjoyable.

Eva @ All Books Considered said...

This sounds pretty good, especially the setting! Great review

Midnight Cowgirl said...

I really like the setting of Norway :)

Joyous Reads said...

I think this is only the second time I've seen this book. I so want to read it!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

Love the Norway setting!

Jennifer Humphries said...

As a desert dweller, Norway is on the top of my list of places to visit someday!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Slow books scare me but I live books set in other countries so much! Great review!

La La in the Library said...

I love the Bridge the Gap idea. I will keep it in mind when I am reviewing! I have bookmarked this review so I won't forget. :)