Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Patchwork Paradise by Indra Vaughn

Patchwork Paradise by Indra Vaughn

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: I'd check it out on Goodreads if you want to read the summary. It might be best to go in a little blind though!

Review: I didn't post the official summary because it gives away things that don't really occur until later in the book. Granted, it's not really a surprise, so don't feel bad if you read the summary. I did before reading it and it was still a fantastic novel. This book is an emotional read, so if you cry easily, be prepared! I definitely got teary eyed.

The book is about Oliver, or Ollie to his friends, and his lover, Sam. One awful night, Sam is gone and Ollie is left alone. He has his friends, but he knows they don't feel the loss the same way he does. There is Cleo and her boyfriend, Imran, and Ollie's best friend, Thomas. All of them (well, mostly Cleo and Thomas) do what they can to take care of Ollie and give him what he needs - whether that's space or someone to lean on when times get really tough.

I appreciated that Ollie wasn't thrust into a new relationship right away. There was time before he even felt slightly ready, and that was mostly at Cleo's pushing. It takes time. Grief doesn't just go away, even when Ollie starts to feel like maybe he can go on and find someone else to love and know that Sam would be okay with that. He would want that for Ollie.

There is more than just romance and grief though. There is family and friendships - the type of friends who are your family. There is love and heartbreak and so much goodness. I really loved this one. It was a quick, but wonderful read! Get it now!!


Melliane said...

Ah yes I like that when we have slow romance, so much better!

Erika Sorocco said...

Slow romances are sometimes the sweetest. Glad you loved this one!


Kindlemom said...

There is nothing like a slow building romance. ;)

Brandi Kosiner said...

Good to know it was a slower romance

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I couldn't help myself- I totally read the summary on Goodreads. I feel emotional just reading that little bit. So of course now I want to read the whole thing and ugly cry my way through it.

Karen Alderman said...

I'll have to check it out on Netgalley.

If you haven't read it yet - I recommend Until September by Chris Scully (also on Netgalley). I think you would really love it.

Karen @For What It's Worth

Midnight Cowgirl said...

I like it when a book with heartbreak is balanced with good things :)

Joyous Reads said...

I have a feeling this book is going to break me. :(

The Bibliophile Babe said...

Slower can be good!

Hanna Lei said...

Looks like a good book. Thanks for sharing -Hanna Lei

Latest Post: Review: Exuviance Gentle Cleansing Creme

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds wonderful Lauren. I love that it involves family and friends too.