Saturday, April 16, 2016

Wonder Woman at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee


Wonder Woman at Super Hero High by Lisa Yee

Review by Lauren

source: copy sent for review; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryThis groundbreaking new middle grade series follows DC Comics' most iconic female Super Heroes and Super-Villains . . . as high schoolers. At Super Hero High, the galaxy's most powerful teens nurture their powers and master the fundamentals of what it means to be a hero.

Review: This is such a fun start to a new middle grade series! Obviously, this book follows Wonder Woman as she begins her time at Super Hero High, but you also get to know about a lot of the other super heroes too. Based on the cover, you would think this was an all-girl's school but it's not! There are boys from Beast Boy to Hal Jordan (Green Lantern). It does seem like there are more girls than anyone though, which is nice!

It was fun seeing all the various super heroes interact. I've read a fair few comics and seen enough movies to recognize most of the names, but that doesn't mean I didn't 'meet' some new people. One of my favorite comic book characters is Harley Quinn, and she's Wonder Woman's roommate. I love how Yee took their personalities and molded them for a teen. For Harley, she's always bouncing around and in a good mood, filming her schoolmates for a web series she calls HQTV. If you know the comics, then of course Harley wouldn't really be at a school for teens with super powers. She doesn't become her alter ego Harley Quinn until she's older and meets The Joker. Regardless, I felt like Yee did a good job keeping to the heart of their characters, at least who they might be before they grow up - because not all of these super heroes end up good. Some end up super villains, and this is noted in the book!

While this is a suitable book for middle school, I do think older readers might enjoy it too! It's fun to see comic book characters in a setting other than comics. As for Wonder Woman, she's a really great character. She's very strong and capable, but Yee shows that she has stress and insecurities too. She doesn't always do the right thing, but she tries. One thing to keep in mind about Wonder Woman is that she grew up on Paradise Island with a bunch of other women, so she doesn't really understand boys (not that there is a romance in this one, just a crush)...and she also takes things quite literal, kind of like the picture book character Amelia Bedelia. It was fun and quirky most of the time though!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and it's a series that I'd love to continue!

10 comments:

Carla N said...

This looks so cute!! The art is really adorable :3
I'm a fan of Wonder Woman, so I think I might enjoy this! Thanks for sharing :)

Lipstick and Mocha

Midnight Cowgirl said...

This sounds like such a fun book!

Joyous Reads said...

What an interesting take on the DC Comics superheroes!

Annalisse Strippoli said...

I'm going to have to give this a shot. I love Wonder Woman so its a must read!

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I love the idea behind this! And I don't mind the Harley Quinn change- they often change superheroes origin stories. This might make a good Readathon selection!

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds like a fun series and I could see fans of Wonder Woman enjoying it regardless of age :)

Claudia Arroyo said...

This sounds fantastic! My girls love Wonder Woman, did you know that Mattel is due to release a line of DC Super Hero Girls too? They're so adorable! In any case, I'm going to look into this series; thanks for putting it in my radar Lauren :)

Karen Alderman said...

Oh how cute!


Karen @For What It's Worth

Marianne @ The Book Belles said...

Oh gosh this looks so cute! I don't normally read Middle Grade but I love Wonder Woman! <3

Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms
http://boricuanbookworms.com

Jennifer Humphries said...

Oh my goodness we need this book! How have i not heard of it already? I have some super avid comic fans here and need to make sure to get a copy now! Thanks for sharing!