Friday, May 6, 2016

Reviews: Sh*tty Mom For All Seasons + The Books That Changed My Life


Sh*tty Mom For All Seasons by Alicia Ybarbo, Mary Ann Zoellner, and Erin Clune

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryTold in the same tongue-in-cheek voice as the original, this sequel is full of funny parenting tips and relatable stories for contemporary moms. Sh*tty Mom for All Seasons explores the occasions throughout the year that test every mother's patience and inspire self-deprecating humor and that second glass of wine. With chapters organized by season, the book will teach you how to navigate the bumpy roads of motherhood, learn to laugh at the occasional parenting fail, and maybe even appreciate your own mother. Or not. 

Review: I never read the original book, but when I saw this one on Netgalley, I knew I had to check it out. No, I'm not a mom. However, I do have a niece and nephew and many friends with children, so I can understand the madness even if I don't have to live it day to day. This is a book that is definitely for those parents that have a sense of humor. We know you love your children, but they are downright insane and/or annoying sometimes, right? Right! This book is broken into the four seasons and each section has a little article of sorts about an event that happens during this time that often tests a mom's patience. For example, during the Fall section, there is an article on what excuses to use to get out of an apple-picking event the school sent flyers home for when you really really do not want to go. These are all really funny and perfect for those moms that just need a little "me" time.


The Books That Changed My Life: Reflections by 100 Authors, Actors, Musicians, and Other Remarkable People Edited By Bethanne Patrick

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryLeading authors, politicians, CEOs, actors, and other notables share the books that changed their life, why they love them, and their passion with readers everywhere. Regan Arts has teamed up with the literary charity 826National, which will receive a portion of the book's proceeds to provide students ages 6–18 with opportunities to explore their creativity and improve their writing skills.

Review: When I saw this book for review on Netgalley, I had to check it out! As a book lover, I thought it would be great to see what books changed people's lives. I didn't recognize all the names in this book but I did know a lot of them, and after each person's section, they give you a small summary of the person and what they have done. Obviously this makes sense, but it was nice to have these summaries right after each entry so you aren't left wondering "who is that?" or flipping back and forth between the pages. This would prove especially difficult in an e-reader, which is how I read this book. I would love to have my own finished copy though to share with others! In the U.S., Mother's Day is this Sunday, so this might be a good last-minute gift!

Anyway, back to the book. It was interesting to see all the different books that people chose and how they relate these titles to their lives. We got Green Eggs and Ham, there was the Bible, someone chose Harriet the Spy, and on and on. It was definitely a nice mix of people that Patrick spoke too as well as a varied choice in books. I believe in the beginning Patrick said only one book was said twice, though I couldn't remember which one that was by the time I'd finished. Everyone has different memories and thoughts attached to these books, like we all do for our favorites reads, so it was great to dive into their stories, no matter how long or short they were!

16 comments:

Naomi Hop said...

Sounds like an interesting read, but unfortunately not for me. Thanks for a great review though!

Diva Booknerd said...

This sounds like a great book for budding authors actually, so see what inspires others and what we find ourselves immersed in. I don't think I can pin point any one book I've read as life changing, but I can imagine creative types might be inspired. Sounds like a really interesting read. Wonder review Lauren <3

Melliane said...

It sounds like 2 interesting books there

Erika Sorocco said...

Okay, I seriously need to check out The Books That Changed My Life - sounds so incredibly interesting!

xx

La La in the Library said...

Both of these books sound interesting. I am a parent with a sense of humor. I hated those mothers who had nothing better to to with their time than to organize gawd awful fundraising activites like apple picking and bowling marathons. Ugh. Ha ha.

A Belle’s Tales said...

That first title made me laugh out loud! It sounds like a really fun read! The Books That Changed My Life sounds really intriguing as well -- I love the variety of the titles. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful weekend :)

Kindlemom said...

This does sound interesting and even fun. Thanks for sharing it and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have a nice weekend!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

That first title cracks me up!

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

I'm not a mom, but I love when parents have a sense of humor about being a parent, so I'd read Shitty Moms. ;)

And The Books that Changed My Life definitely sounds like a book blogger read if I've ever heard one!

Joyous Reads said...

Ha. This book is perfect. For me - at least. Lol.

Karen Alderman said...

Ha! Fun Mother's Day gift :-)

Karen @For What It's Worth

Claudia Arroyo said...

Oh man, this sounds like the type of book that will more than likely have me laughing out loud, quite literally. Not to boast or anything, but I have some pretty awesome kids; granted, they do challenge me and my perspective on many things, but I wouldn't change it for the world! :D

Thanks for sharing this one ha ha! I hope you have a fabulous time with your momma this Mother's Day weekend <3

Liviania said...

The Books that Changed My Life sounds like something I'd enjoy flipping through.

Kristin @ Addicted to HEA said...

Great two books to review together! YES, moms need to get out of apple picking for the 5th year in a row!!! Trust me.

The stories book sounds fantastic b/c I find myself looking up people on the internet all the time. It would neat to see what books affected them most!

Awesome reviews!!!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I actually have the first sh*tty mom book and it is hysterical. Will totally have to check this one out too!

Talk Supe said...

The first book sounds hilarious! I wonder if it's still on NG