Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts by Maja Safstrom


The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts by Maja Safstrom 

Review by Lauren

source: copy from BloggingForBooks; all opinions are my own

Review: I think this is a fairly straightforward book, which is why I didn't include an official summary like I normally do. Basically, Safstrom includes two pages with a fun black and white illustration of an animal and at least one fact. Most of the spreads include more than one picture and more than one fact, but some stick with one, like the page on Otters.

source
I'm a sucker for facts. I just love learning random things and having that knowledge in my head. This is why I had to request this book for review when I saw it listed. I was really excited to go through the pages. It's a quick read, of course, but it's also one that you'll want to keep on your shelves to look through every now and then or show to others. This would be a good book for younger kids interested in animals too, because it give them some fun facts they might like to know! The one animal I did not like is the tarantula. These might be drawings, but even drawings of spiders freak me out! Besides that, the book was really fun!

I knew a couple of the facts shared, but not all of them, so I'm sure most people will learn a lot from this one! Definitely think about grabbing a copy to share with friends and family! I shared a portion of the Raven page on my Instagram, along with The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. Check out my Instagram if you want to see!

16 comments:

Melliane said...

It sounds like a nice once

Kindlemom said...

This completely sounds interesting! Great review for this.

Karen Alderman said...

I love those illustrations!

Karen @For What It's Worth

A Belle’s Tales said...

Love this! My daughter will love it, too -- thanks for sharing :)

Midnight Cowgirl said...

This sounds like a fun book!

Medeia Sharif said...

I find myself reaching for nonfiction on animals. This looks great.

Aylee said...

Ah cool! I saw you mention the part about the raven in conjunction with The Raven Cycle and was curious if the entire book was like that. This reminds me of these Animal Fact Files sheets that I used to read and collect when I was younger :)

Jennifer Humphries said...

Now this is awesome! We need a copy of this book right away! Thanks for sharing this book with all of us.

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Looks like such a fun and interesting book!

Joyous Reads said...

Oh my son would love this book! He's a fan of random facts about animals as well. :)

Naomi Hop said...

Sounds like an interesting read... different from what I would usually pick up. Thanks for sharing!

Lili Vu said...

Now this is a book I would love! I enjoy learning random facts much more than reading fiction. I'll have to get a copy of this.
~Lili
www.thefashionsalt.com

Claudia Arroyo said...

I almost requested this book! I thought it would something the family would enjoy as a whole :) my children always enjoy reading through books that are loaded with cool facts about their animals, insects, and other critters. Great review, Lauren!

Alise said...

I actually really like the idea of this one too, I love animals and random facts. But overall it's nice that it can appeal to different audiences.

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Oh how fun! I love random facts like that and nice art too!

Adriana Garcia said...

I saw the Ravens portion on your instagram - so adorable that they form gangs. I like random facts about animals too. Was the otter page about how they hold hands so they don't float away or how I'm pretty sure they mate for life. Otters are my favorite... I would love this.