Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Road to Amazing by Brent Hartinger


The Road to Amazing by Brent Hartinger

Review by Lauren

source: copy from author; all opinions are my own

Official Summary: If you want to read the summary, go to Goodreads.

Review (NO SPOILERS): I didn't want to post the official summary in case you haven't read the Russel Middlebrook books. Have you heard of the YA novel Geography Club? Well, that's the first Russel book and there a few more YA titles as well. As for the book I'm reviewing and the couple that came before, these are still about Russel and his life, but they are on the NA side of things because Russel is in his early twenties and more grown up. When most people think NA though, they often think of books that are full of sex and drama and that's not the case here. These books are more NA because of the age the characters are, though there is a little bit of sex. I think The Road to Amazon had the most "explicit" sex if you will. This is all just to let you know what to expect! I really loved all of these books, and I'm sad that The Road to Amazing is the end of the series. It was great to see Russel really grow up, and beyond high school too, because most people don't have life figured out by the time they graduate senior year.

Anyway, because I don't want to give anything away for those that haven't read these books, I'll just say that I really enjoyed The Road to Amazing and all of the fun, quirky characters that make up these stories. When you read these books, you immediately fall into Russel's world. He narrates these books in first person and the style Hartinger writes Russel's voice is very unique. I love it because you just know you're reading a Russel story.

Overall, this was a great story! Start with the YA novels if you wish, but feel free to jump to the NA novels, The Futon Years, if you would rather read about an MC a bit older! Russel explains enough that you'll understand!

11 comments:

Melliane said...

It's great to see that it was a good end like that and that you had a great time with the series.

Erika Sorocco said...

I just can't get into coming-of-age, romance-type books. I'm all about fantasy, dance, and mystery lately - everything else just seems to bore me. :/

xx

Joyous Reads said...

Oh that's interesting! I love that the story arches progresses in line with the characters. I mean, they can't all be kids forever, yanno? :)

cleemckenzie said...

How great that this one was a good read with interesting characters and the book wasn't driven by the "sex" factor.

Lola R said...

In my opinion the age category NA should be because of the age of the characters, not only based on how much sex there is in a book, but sometimes it does get used for that. So this series goes from YA to NA books? It does sound like a good one!

Kindlemom said...

So glad you found another awesome one!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

Another great ones, it sounds like it!

kimbacaffeinate said...

This sounds good, and I enjoy finding NA that isn't all angst.

Naomi Hop said...

This is a series and author I haven't heard of before. It sounds like quite the addictive read! Great review.

Karen Alderman said...

Oh wow - that's interesting to see a character actually grow through the years.


Karen @For What It's Worth

A Belle’s Tales said...

This sounds really good, and I'm going to add the series to my list now. I like that I could start with the YA or jump ahead to the NA. Thank you for sharing :)