Monday, June 13, 2016

The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North


The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North

Review by Lauren

source: copy from BEA; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryMy name is Hope Arden, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. But I am the girl the world forgets.

It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.

A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks straight through me and sees a stranger.

No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.

That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . .

Review: I don't know what genre you would classify this book as, but if you look at Goodreads, people have placed it under Fantasy as well as Science Fiction or even just Fiction. Regardless, this is one fascinating novel that I would definitely recommend. This was actually the first book I read after attending BEA because it came out during the month of May (yes, it's out now - go go go)!! Hope Arden is an intriguing character - you can't help but feel for her and her situation. She does have moral codes; she's a thief, not a murderer. She needs to steal in order to live, and then she does it to earn money or to make a point. She doesn't always have the best reason, but she does have reasons.

As the summary above states, Hope is someone that people forget seconds after they turn away from her so she has to keep talking to them or be prepared to re-introduce herself. This is great for a thief or someone who wants to con you, even though computers capture her image. People will look at her photo, remember her features, but they don't always recognize her soon after when they are no longer staring at a photo. While this is great if you don't want to be caught doing something illegal, it makes living your everyday life difficult. Hope's parents forgot her. Her friends. Teachers. She can't stay in a hotel for long or the doctors and nurses keep forgetting her. The same goes for keeping any type of regular job. She can have an interview, sure, but show up the next day to work? It's a case of 'who are you?'

It's difficult to explain the overall story of The Sudden Appearance of Hope. It's good to know about Hope's 'condition' going in, but from there, just read it. There is action, suspense, mystery, a bit of romance, and a desperate need to keep reading - keep finding out what happens next.


This book falls under the Unique Formatting Book Challenge. The novel is written in a fairly 'normal' format overall, but there are moments where Hope gives definitions for words or writes in a 'unique' style. It works well for the book and Hope's situation.

P.S. I also wanted to pass along a link to my other blog, where I speak about the Orlando FL shootings yesterday.

12 comments:

Kindlemom said...

OH this sounds interesting. Glad it kept you turning the pages.

Trish Hannon said...

I'm a bit fascinated by this book and by the way even her parents forget about her. It's the first time I've seen the unique formatting mentioned though and that intrigues me too. Definitely want to read this one soon!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

Really interesting concept!! Unique formatting is always a plus in my book too. Great review!

Diva Booknerd said...

This actually sounds so incredibly sad Lauren, but at the same time, I can't wait to read it. I'm curious as to why she's so 'forgettable' is it though, is it more the mental anguish of feeling invisible to people who matter or is it more so a fantasy or scifi twist, magic realism? I have to know now. Brilliant review Lauren, can't wait to read it! <3

Keertana said...

Huh, this is so intriguing! I've never come across a book like this before so thanks for putting this on my radar! I'll definitely have to check it out! :)

Jennifer Humphries said...

Oh wow this sounds good. My mind is sitting here reeling wondering what an existence like that would be like. I want to read this one!

Cait @ Paper Fury said...

Oh oh I'd seen this book mentioned around but I didn't know what it was about! THIS SOUNDS AMAZING and exactly like my kinda book. ;D Plus unique formatting?!? *dashes for goodreads*

Joyous Reads said...

That's kinda weird, isn't it? Is that her superpower or something? I've always thought it was a metaphorical thing. Lol.

Melliane said...

Hmm it's intriguing and I can understand the difficulty to classify it. I didn't know about this one

Kate Midnight Book Girl said...

Okay, this sounds awesome!

kimbacaffeinate said...

You have me curious especially with all the genre elements going on here. Great review!

Nicole Hewitt said...

I hadn't heard of this one. I actually read a MG fantasy with a character like this and I loved the premise (The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan). It would be interesting to read a YA book with the same idea.