Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton


Baby Doll by Hollie Overton

Review by Lauren

source: copy from BEA; all opinions are my own

Official Summary:

Held captive for eight years, Lily has grown from a teenager to an adult in a small basement prison. Her daughter Sky has been a captive her whole life. But one day their captor leaves the deadbolt unlocked.

This is what happens next...

...to her twin sister, to her mother, to her daughter...and to her captor.
 

Review: There is something to say for reading a darker mystery during the summer months with the sun shining. It helps ease some of the fear, I suppose, while reading a book that details a circumstance that does happen to people in real life. A teenager girl is kidnapped and helped captive in a basement, unable to see the outdoors until she escapes 8 years later, this time with a young daughter in tow.

I really admired Lily's strength. Overton makes it clear that while Lily is scared and she has a lot to deal with after returning home, she is determined to not let anyone make decisions for her anymore. This means she leads the police directly to her captor, instead of simply giving them the name and letting them do their job. This means a lot of things, and you'll see the one by one as the book progresses. Lily has strength, but she is a girl that needs to be put back together in many ways. I also felt for Sky, who doesn't understand this new world and the people in it. She slowly grows used to her family though, as she implicitly trusts Lily in most decisions, having had to do so her whole life.

One of the things that helps Baby Doll is that the book is told in multiple point of views. You get Lily, of course, but you also get her mother, Eve, and her twin sister, Abby. You also get the point of view of Lily's captor, who is someone you cannot find sympathy for, as they do not care one bit about how they have hurt Lily. They want to control and they continue to try and do so from behind bars.

Baby Doll was an intriguing mystery. I thought it was well done and I was definitely surprised on the ending, but I thought it made sense and worked well.

15 comments:

Kindlemom said...

I've always loved reading mysteries and thrillers in the summer months when I can stay up all night reading them and freaking myself out. ;)
Wonderful review for this!

Lauren Rhiannon said...

Definitely going to pick this up! :)

Joyous Reads said...

It's kind of weird, isn't it? I feel the same way about reading Christmas-themed books in the summer. Lol.

Oh, but this mystery sounds delightful!

Erika Sorocco said...

This one does sound intriguing. For some reason I can never bring myself to read books on this subject matter, as the situation hits close to home given the fact that the chances of it happening just don't seem farfetched. :/

xx

Karen Alderman said...

This sounds super intense!

Karen @For What It's Worth

The Bibliophile Babe said...

This sounds creepy, and pretty intense! Glad you liked it. :D

A Canadian Girl said...

Is it just me or does this sound like Room (which I've never read but did watch)? If you've read Room, Lauren, are they similar?

Christy LoveOfBooks said...

I almost grabbed this for review but passed instead. Dang it! It makes me think of the Jaycee Dugard case. I'll have to wishlist it.

Diva Booknerd said...

This sounds like it could have been plucked from the news headlines Lauren, most recently the three girls that were held captive in the US last year, one having two children to her captor I believe. Gosh it's eerie. Without sounding morbid, I'm looking forward to reading this one. With the lights on. Wonderful review Lauren, so glad you enjoyed it <3

Melliane said...

Oh I always love a good mystery like that and I don't think I knew about the book!

Lexxie Lin said...

Oh man, Lauren! This one sounds really tense, and I'm sorry I didn't bring my copy with me on my vacation. I prefer reading dark mysteries / suspense in the summer... so I don't get too freaked out ;)

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

Nicole Hewitt said...

I didn't see this one at BEA, but now I wish I had. Sounds like a fantastic and suspenseful read!

Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

kimbacaffeinate said...

I will be listening to this on audio, so I am excited you enjoyed it Lauren!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Summer is a good time for reading darker mysteries. This does sound interesting!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I agree sometimes it is good to read a darker story in the summer. Glad this worked for you and the ending was a surprise!! Great review!