Tuesday, July 5, 2016

How May We Hate You? by Anna Drezen and Todd Dakotah Briscoe


How May We Hate You? by Anna Drezen and Todd Dakotah Briscoe 

Review by Lauren

source: book from BloggingforBooks; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryMost people think hotel employees are effortlessly cheerful, naturally helpful, and genuinely like their work. 
 
Most people are wrong.
 
Find out what really goes on in the world of hospitality with this hilarious book full of funny and absurd stories, anecdotes told in dialogue, factoids, and hoax pop quizzes by two veteran concierges who paid their way while working at a combined 50 hotels in and around Times Square. They are very pleased to help you learn the following: 
·         The Truth About Bed Bugs
·         The Mythology of “Loyalty Programs”
·         The 411 on Hotel Residents
·         And so much more
 
Filled with photographs and infographics, How May We Hate You?is both romp and commentary on the hospitality industry and life behind the nametag.


Review: I feel like the summary gives you all you really need to know about the book, so I'll just make this short and share my personal thoughts. I'm not a big traveler, but I have been in my fair share of hotels and I've used the concierge before. Yes, they are cheerful and willing to help, but I'm also a nice and patient person. I understand that customers aren't always nice and I believe in the phrase "you get more flies with honey" and that's essentially what this book says. Both Anna and Todd have worked as a concierge in a variety of hotels and they share some really good advice on how you should treat your concierge. Of course, you should be nice and respectful. These are human beings after all! But you know, not everyone gets this...

Obviously the bad customers and the stories that Todd and Anna now have to share make a lot of the humor in this book. I loved - and also shook my head at - many of the things that people said or did to the concierges. It's almost unbelievable!

I liked the quizzes, pictures, illustrations, and other fun ways to tell this story. It makes it an easy and quick read. I didn't love all the humor, but I think that tends to happen with these sort of books. I do believe this would make a great gift for someone who travels a lot!

7 comments:

Brooke Banks said...

Sounds like a good book for people who like The Customer Isn't Always Right sites. I don't travel at all but I'm interested in this because I love that website.

Joyous Reads said...

I love this format of story telling! Makes it more fun to read. :)

Erika Sorocco said...

This looks so entertaining - I want!

xx

cleemckenzie said...

This sounds like the perfect gift for anyone who travels or has traveled.

Bec Reader said...

This sounds like an entertaining read haha. I've never really travelled but I still reckon it'd be fun to read. And probably get baffled when people get angry over silly little things. Who has the energy for that?

The Bibliophile Babe said...

It definitely sounds fun!

Jennifer Humphries said...

Oh no will I want to travel again after reading this?! I did customer service in retail for many years and you seriously cannot make up the crazy stuff that happens!