Friday, October 14, 2016

Guest Post: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


Chamber of Secrets Guest Post by Michelle
Follow her on Twitter 
Check out her Website 

I’ll be honest: The first time I read Chamber of Secrets, I was a little disappointed. It felt like the first book, just with a different obstacle. Since then, I’ve watched the movie a few times and have been persuaded to write about the book from a more forgiving light.

Yes, the second book is similar to the first, but there are several redeeming qualities, as shown through five quotes:

1. “Dobby wants to save Harry Potter’s life! Better sent home, grievously injured, then remain here, sir! Dobby only wanted Harry Potter hurt enough to be sent home!” — Dobby is introduced in Chamber of Secrets and remains one of my favorite characters (though Hagrid holds the top spot). He means well, but his efforts are so misguided. In trying to save Harry Potter, he nearly kills the boy wizard. His reasoning, at least in this quote, isn’t terrible. It also reminds me of the ways people can have good intentions but still produce bad (or unintended) results.

2. “Hearing voices no one else can hear isn’t a good sign, even in the wizarding world.” — For as much as the second book mirrors the first, it becomes clearer how dark Harry’s situation is. On top of dealing with being an adolescent, he must wrestle with wanting to do the right thing while having dark tendencies. What’s even more maddening, at least from my perspective, is that Harry didn’t choose these tendencies; they were infused in him.

3. “Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.” — Because of all the heavy events and themes of Harry Potter, it can be easy to forget how funny the series is. I don’t think I’ve read another series or an individual book where the young characters have such sharp wits. It’s definitely one of my favorite aspects of the series and serves to keep the characters well rounded.

4. “You will also find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.” — Aside from the comedy, another of my favorite aspects about this book are the lessons, as this quote demonstrates. I tend to cut out “at Hogwarts” in this sentence to give it a more universal quality. Want something? Just ask. It often comes in a way you don’t expect, but you get what you need.

5. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” — Going along with quote three, although Harry wrestles with darkness, he wants to make good choices. And like the previous quote, there is a lesson here. Everyone has tendencies toward some darkness, but we can all make sound choices and help produce decent outcomes.

do not own photo; source


Now it’s your turn: What are some of your favorite quotes from Chamber of Secrets?

13 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

Cheers to Dobby quotes! I've been in love with Dobby since his first appearance in HP; and, like you, he has remained one of my favorite characters ever since!

xx

Kindlemom said...

It took me awhile to like Dobby but once that love was there, it never went away. ;)

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

Oh gosh, it has been so long since I read this one. I did just get my illustrated copy, so I need to reread it.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh man I want to get the newly illustrated ones and reread them all. I don't think I could pull a quote out other than what you have here (the picture quote is the one I usually remember). I so need a reread! :D

Midnight Cowgirl said...

#5 is one of my favorite quotes!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

She does have some good quotes!

Cleo Bannister said...

The great thing about good books is that often a revisit can reveal new things and without the weight of expectation can be more satisfying (in either book or film)

Kristin @ Addicted to HEA said...

*sigh* I'm late to the Harry Potter craze (I'm older) so I don't have a favorite quote from the book. BUT... I absolutely adore how you wrote this re-review!!!! I love how you used the quotes to point out the awesomeness of not only "Chamber" but the series as a whole. Great post, Michelle :)

cleemckenzie said...

I hate to say this, but Dobby always annoyed me. I'm sure it's my bias against a character who refers to himself in the third person. But I enjoyed your review of the book. Great job.

kimbacaffeinate said...

Ah Dobby, he was such a pest and sweetheart at the same time...lol

Naomi Hop said...

I'm currently looking around for Harry Potter books... I think I need to read them, then get my kids to do so!

Di Hewlett said...

I just love seeing these quotes - HP will always be one of my favourite series and I love revisiting memories from ALL the books. Great choice of 5 great quotes.

Di @ Book Reviews by Di

La La in the Library said...

This one is my least favorite of all the HP books, and also my least favorite movie. I really hated all of the Lockhart content. However, it is still Harry Potter and all Harry Potter is good. :)