Friday, October 21, 2016

Guest Post: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


Goblet of Fire Guest Post
By: Maria Zuppardi

Twitter: @MariaZuppardi

The fourth Harry Potter book is kind of super amazing, if you haven’t read it already! I find that this is the point where this series takes a dark turn. We start this book off with the murder of the Riddle family that Harry is dreaming about - not exactly a nice scene at the beginning! This is however offset through the (temporary) excitement of the Quidditch World Cup, which was such a good match! I get so into it whenever I read it….I mean who doesn’t?

I liked the chaotic feel to this book; Harry was always on edge when he didn’t know what to do about an upcoming Triwizard Tournament challenge, or because of the mystery behind Rita Skeeter and her Harry + Hermione rumours, the threat of the Dark Mark and the implications behind it - this was such a crazy book to read because again, it was a different feel from the first three books, but I like it! At this point, Harry and the gang are older, J.K. Rowling’s audience is getting a bit older so it makes sense that she would write this differently.

My favourite part of the book was the ending, when Sirius ends up at the castle almost losing his mind about what Harry went through. Sirius is my favourite character, so any part he’s in I just LOVE! Harry never had a father figure growing up, so it was nice to see Sirius taking on this role way better than Vernon Dursley. Sirius has done better parenting for Harry in over a year than Vernon ever did.

Honourable Mentions

  1. Dobby. Bless him for being a paid member of the Hogwarts faculty! Even though he’s not the most liked elf in the kitchen, he’s really doing something right and following something he believes in. He wants to redefine the boundaries and create a better life for himself and other elves.
  2. Dobby (again) - just because he gave Harry the gillyweed which helped him for the second challenge.
  3. Hermione for always being badass, and figuring out a few key facts along the way.  
  4. Barty Crouch Jr. Let’s face it, it takes some serious dedication to act like a world-renowned Auror. And convince everyone around him that he IS one. Although obviously not done for the right reasons, it’s still a pretty cool undercover mission.
  5. Voldemort. He isn’t the most feared wizard of all time for nothing! From literally going to a gross-looking thing and growing into a full-fledged man was a frighteningly awesome scene both in the book and the movie.
Overall, I think this book was great preparation for the deaths in the other books. There’s really not much to critique here, because I love this book! It’s my second favourite one in the series because of all the action and the amount of new characters introduced. I loved meeting the different wizarding schools. Most of all though, I love J.K. Rowling’s writing ability and how she conveys a story that the whole world can fall in love with.

7 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

Cheers to your mention of Barty Crouch, Jr.! I always found him to be a terribly interesting {though evil} character!

xx

Tracy Terry said...

Well done on an insightful review Maria. Dobby is one of my favourites.

Jennifer Humphries said...

I loved this book too and for exactly the same reasons you shared. Great write-up and nice to meet you :)

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Barty Crouch Jr. is so evil but a very interesting character!

Di Hewlett said...

I was always so sad when it turned out that it was Barty Crouch Jr the whole time and I thought he was an amazing character.

This is also one of my favourite books in the series and for me is the turning point to getting older and darker but still being full of fun and adventure. I feel like the other books are a lot more serious than this one.

Love reading these guest reviews!

Diva Booknerd said...

I'm a massive fan of Dobby as well, he really added interest to what is a wonderfully imaginative storyline. Reminds me that I'll need to reread soon as well. Fabulous review! <3

Marianne @ The Book Belles said...

This is my FAVORITE book in the series! I found it action packed and all around amazing. Loved reading this review!

Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms.