Monday, November 28, 2016

Guest Post: Reading Lists for the Hogwarts Houses



Hogwarts House Reading Lists 
by Veronica Franklin
Follow her on Twitter








Every student who is accepted to Hogwarts receives a book list, but everyone knows that required reading is very, very different from reading for fun. I’m sure there are books and stories that are loved by all. The Tales of Beedle the Bard is one such collection. However, personal reading choices can vary greatly. One factor that can affect how a person chooses their books is personality. In light of this, I have set out to compile a recommended reading list based on the different houses. This list will, in no way, be exhaustive, but I hope it will be a good start.


I decided to start this list off with Hufflepuff because, as a Ravenclaw, I found this house to be the hardest to pick books for!

Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson


Since You’ve Been Gone is a great Hufflepuff read because the main theme of this book is loyalty and friendship and finding! I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the main character, Emily, was a Hufflepuff herself! This book is a fun read that doesn’t shy away from taking on more serious topics.
The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle


The Hollow Kingdom is the first book in The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy. Set in 19th century England, this book (and series) will speak to the Hufflepuffs’ loyalty and hard-working nature. The magical elements of this story will be a treat for any young witch or wizard as well.
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia


Made You Up is the one book I struggled with including for the Hufflepuff selection. On one hand, none of the characters are even remotely Hufflepuff. However, I really do think that ‘finding’ is a huge theme in this book and that makes it perfect for Hufflepuffs.


Gryffindor was the second hardest house for me to pick books for. There are plenty of books that have brave characters, but many of them are overshadowed by secondary traits that would better suit them to other houses. I think the books I’ve chosen will appeal to Gryffindors in the whole rather than only parts.

The Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan


With no small amount of bravery and adventure, The Ranger’s Apprentice series is perfect for Gryffindors. Add to that a cast of amazing characters, both friendly and not, and you have a story that will enrapture even the most restless reader!

Tahn by L.A. Kelly


Another book that is chalk full of bravery and adventure, Tahn (and the other two books in the Tahn Dorn trilogy) is a great choice for Gryffindors. It’s main theme is the struggle between good and evil, as well as a healthy dose of chivalry.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan


The Percy Jackson series is another series that fits in with Gryffindor traits. It has adventure, bravery, and friendship. There is even a copious amount of recklessness and quick tempers!


Now on to the house that is second closest to my heart! I am a Ravenclaw and a Slytherclaw, so I found it easy to pick books for this house because they mirror my own reading habits closely.
The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card


Dysfunction, betrayal, cunning, and survival all make the plot of The Lost Gate a compelling choice for Slytherin readers. The twists and turns this book takes will keep readers guessing until the very end! There is some good though, The Lost Gate is the first book in the Mither Mages series, so if you liked the first one, there are more to keep you entertained.

Uprooted by Naomi Novak


Uprooted is the only stand-alone novel on this list. The story starts out kind of slow and would seem to contain way more foolish bravery than a Slytherin would like. It isn’t long, maybe a few chapters, before the characters and plot really develop and the focus shifts to resourcefulness and resilience in the face of daunting circumstance.

Tin Star by Cecil Castelucci


This story is all about betrayal and survival at any cost. The main character is one of the most Slytherin characters I have ever read! It’s a pretty short read, but that makes it perfect for people who want a good story but don’t have the time to dedicate to big books (like students)!



We are finally at my own house, Ravenclaw! I had trouble narrowing down my selection. I decided to completely ignore the classics because, let’s face it; Ravenclaws would read the classics and the modern classics. They’d also read biographies, autobiographies, and DIY books, so I decided not to consider those either.

A Discovery of Witches


This book is a whopping 579 pages of glorious detail (add to that the two other books in the series and you have a lot of reading material)! There is plenty of history and science throughout the plot and the main point of this story is research and love.

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet by Reif Larsen


The appeal of this book is hard to explain. The story is really interesting, following a 12-year-old on his subterfuge filled journey to the Smithsonian. However, it’s the added detail on every page (maps, graphs, curious details, etc.) that will really speak to a Ravenclaw reader.

Artemis Fowl


Books with adventures are all well and good, but sometimes you need a cautionary tale or two! This story is all about a boy genius who uses his knowledge for personal gain, and gets himself in to no small amount of trouble along the way. Ravenclaws will appreciate the dedication and intelligence required to get in to and out of some of the crazy situations Artemis finds himself in.

9 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

What a fun idea for a post! The Hollow Kingdom sounds brilliant!

xx

Tracy Terry said...

What an wonderfully inventive post, it must have taken an age to compile.

AngelErin said...

What a fun idea! I love it. Also, I'm a Slytherin and I did LOVE Uprooted. :D

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh what a fun thoughtful post! Oh I could totally agree with you on those books.

Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet said...

I love this post! I am a Ravenclaw too. I need to check out these suggestions!

Gingi Freeman said...

Hahaha, what a GREAT reading list concept!!! I am going to have to share this post with my sister.. she is super into HP right now! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

The Bibliophile Babe said...

What a fun idea!

Jennifer Humphries said...

OK, this is awesome! Great guest post! What a fun way to list some books by interest and of course our magical abilities :)

Farrah Fong said...

Such a great idea for a post! I'm Hufflepuff all the way, so I'm super excited for those picks, but also intrigued about the other ones! My reading list keeps on expanding! I wish I had more time!