Thursday, March 9, 2017

Secret Coders: Secrets and Sequences by Gene Luen Yang and Mike Holmes


Secret Coders: Secrets and Sequences by Gene Luen Yang and Mike Holmes

Review by Lauren

source: copy from publisher; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryStately Academy is no ordinary school: it was once home to an elite institute where teachers, students, and robots worked together to unravel the mysteries of coding. Hopper, Eni, and Josh won't rest until they've learned the whole story, but they aren't the only ones interested in the school's past. Principal Dean is hot on their trail, demanding that the coders turn over their most powerful robot. Dean may be a creep, but he's nothing compared to the guy who's really in charge: a green-skinned coding genius named Professor One-Zero.

Review: This is a unique graphic novel series in that it's a full-fledged story, but it's also a mini guide on how to code. I can see middle school readers really enjoying this one and wanting to try the various code challenges. I read the first book when it came out, but I never read the second. Secrets and Sequences is the third in the book, and while missing a chunk of the story, it was still easy to follow along. I do recommend reading all in order if you can though!

source
This book follows students Hopper, Eni, and Josh as they try to save their town from a evil villain named Professor One-Zero. Because of the coding aspect, it's a pretty intellectual book. Despite not knowing much about coding myself, it's still relatively easy to read and follow along. For the actual story, it's full of action and suspense. I like that it's about three friends working together and using their brains to save the day! We need more of those type of heroes!

The illustrations are done well, and they are all in black, white, and green, which gives it a different look from most graphic novels that are either black/white or full color. I really enjoyed the book and the end, while not a full cliffhanger, does leave you wanting the next book!

Interested in this series? I'll include links to all three books below - I'm an amazon affiliate - I get a small percent of any sale.

Secret Coders - Book 1

Secret Coders - Book 2

Secret Coders - Book 3

14 comments:

Erika Sorocco said...

This sounds like such an awesome series!

xx

Joyous Reads said...

You've been on a graphic novel kick lately, I noticed. I hope you'll check out Alex + Ada, too!

Jennifer Humphries said...

This looks good! I have several readers who would really enjoy this. I think I would enjoy it as well! Thank you for sharing your review :)

mypixieblog said...

Interesting... I never thought to follow a book about coders but this is certainly one that sounds like a good read! Thanks for sharing--PS: I am currently reading River Road and LOVING it! Thanks so much for the recommendation :) XOXO

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I don't know anything about coding. I will have to get this for my son when he is a tiny bit older. He has a mind that would enjoy this.

Carrie said...

I actually bet my son would love this book... I should see if its appropriate for 5th grade level (he's an advanced reader). Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Carrie
curlycraftymom.com

Gingi Freeman said...

I like the artwork, it reminds me of the guys that do that online comic Penny Arcade.. wonder if it is the same peeps?! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Cleo Bannister said...

It sounds like you enjoyed this one and it is certainly a different approach!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Okay, this is pretty cool. I really do need to show my cousin this review. I think he would love his kids to learn coding.

A Canadian Girl said...

I think it's really cool that this series also teaches you how to code :)

Midnight Cowgirl said...

This sounds so fun!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

That looks fun!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I think that is so cool that is a story and also teaches coding!! What a fun series. Great review!

Simply Alexandra // My Favorite Things said...

This is super cool! I love the idea. My younger sister did some coding classes, I love that there are books marketing it! :) XO - Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things