Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Two Reviews: Embers and Darkness by Kate Sherwood


Embers by Kate Sherwood

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummarySmall town—big problems. Jericho Crewe is back in Mosely, Montana, trying to deal with police corruption, interfering feds, his newly discovered family members, and, of course, Wade Granger.

He doesn’t really need a biker war on top of it all, but as the bodies start to pile up, it becomes pretty clear that’s what he’s got. Not only that, but Wade’s involved somehow, and as soon as Wade is a part of something, things that seemed clear become cloudy.

With the feds breathing down his neck, Jericho has to find his way through Wade’s maze of half truths and manipulations. It would all be so much easier if Jericho could think straight in the other man’s presence. So much easier if their passionate past could be forgotten, and if he could be sure he’s strong enough to resist the temptation of a passionate present.


Review: The first book in the Common Law series was Long Shadows, and it was one that I really loved. There was a slight hint of romance but it was mostly focused on the mystery. With Embers, we get a bit more physical romance but again, it focuses more on the overall mystery. This doesn't bother me because it's nice to have an m/m book that's not strictly about the romance. I also love that this is an actual series and not just companion novels. Each book focuses on Jericho Crewe who is now back in Mosely, Montana to help the local police force. He also has Wade Granger to worry about - a career criminal who used to be Jericho's lover. Jericho knows him and Wade aren't a good match, but he can't get the guy out of his head...and Wade definitely plays with that.

Despite Wade's criminal reputation, it's hard not to like the guy at least a little bit. He seems to have some sort of conscience on what he will or will not do and I don't believe his affection for Jericho is a complete act. Embers really shows how hard he tries to keep Jericho safe, giving him clues to help further the investigation of a possible biker war.

This is a great series and I'd definitely recommend it. If you're fairly new to m/m romance, this might be a good place to start!

Want to read Long Shadows, the first book in the series? Check it out on Amazon. You can check out Embers here too. I'm an affiliate; I get a small percent of any sale.


Darkness by Kate Sherwood

Review by Lauren

source: copy from Netgalley; all opinions are my own

Official SummaryA murdered prostitute. An obvious suspect. Clear evidence. For once, Jericho Crewe has a straightforward crime to investigate, and Wade Granger isn’t involved.

It all seems so simple, but Jericho’s instincts won’t let him rest. As he investigates, he finds troubling suggestions that the murder is a part of something larger and more sinister. But working within the boundaries of the law may keep him from finding the truth. If Jericho doesn’t break the rules, an innocent man may rot in jail while a killer remains free to strike again.

Inevitably, it all comes back to Wade. Because who else knows as much about breaking rules? And who else knows Jericho the way Wade does—not wisely, but far, far too well?
 


Review: I'm writing this review immediately after I finished the book, which almost never happens. At any rate, I can definitely say this was another wonderful addition to the Common Law series. I love learning more about Jericho and his past. I find it interesting how his sense of right and wrong is different from what you expect from a cop. It makes you think because while it's different, that doesn't always mean he's wrong.

This was a really intriguing novel as well, as the mystery added a lot of suspense to the novel. It doesn't take too long for certain secrets to be revealed but it just adds more intrigue to the novel. Knowing something isn't the same as fixing something. The truth doesn't always come out in the way one wants.

Also, this novel had a lot of more of Wade Granger and despite all of his problems - if you want to call them out - he's still obviously someone that cares about Jericho. He's not on the same side as the cops, but is he really that far away from them? Everyone suspects him when things go wrong, but Darkness shows more of his inner character, I believe, and I found it fascinating.

Want to check out Darkness? You can get it on Amazon here. I'm an affiliate - I get a small percent of any sale.

14 comments:

Kindlemom said...

Love that you said there is a lot of suspense in these. So glad you had a good time with them!

Bec Reader said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed these! I don't know if I'll read them because they're not really my type of novel, but I hope you continue to enjoy the series!

Melliane said...

It sounds like an interesting series. it's a new one to me

Nadine Lynn said...

The common law series sounds interesting, wil have to check it out.

Erika Sorocco said...

Darkness sounds so intriguing!

xx

Tanya Atkinson said...

This sounds like a really interesting series. I love the sound of Jericho and it seems like he and Wade have a pretty complicated relationship.

Karen Alderman said...

So few series cover the same couple so I'm definitely checking this one out.

Karen @For What It's Worth

Aylee said...

I could see myself liking this series as well, because as much as I like romance, I always prefer that it not be the main focus, you know? And that might be even more of a rarity in the world of m/m fiction.

Crystal Collier said...

You know, I recently read a book that would fall into the same genre, and it was a shock how much I enjoyed it. Definitely a new realm for me.

Charlotte Klein said...

I'm totally new to this kind of romance, but definitely sounds like a great book/neat series. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I have this author on my must read list and it looks like I may have to make sure this one is part of that list. Brilly reviews!

The Bibliophile Babe said...

They both sound great!

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Great covers on these :)

Tori Dennis said...

Thanks for posting your favorites and I look forward to seeing your Giveaways on Twitter!
Tori @ In Tori Lex